Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ran some stuff to remove some malware. I still can't access IE!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Wrigs

Wrigs

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:20 PM

Hello,
I don't know if I am still being affected by malware or if I've removed the malware and my problem is simply residual.
I contracted a fake malware-alert virus that, at first, did not allow Malwarebytes Anti-malware or Super Anti-Spyware to run for more than a few seconds before shutting them down. It also prevented me from accessing this site and other tech-solution related sites via Internet Explorer. I downloaded everything that I could find that sounded like it had fixed similar problems for others (I used another computer to search for and download those applications, transferring them to the infected computer on a flash drive). I was able to run a couple of Combo Fixes that worked for others, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Super Anti-spyware by changing their ".exe" names, and I installed Avira AntiVir.
Since running those programs and quartining their results, my computer is acting normally, as far as I can tell. The only problem now is that I'm still not able to access the internet so I am writing from a computer that is not so disabled.
Can you help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:53 PM

Hello ... a couple of things to do.

See if this fixes your Net issues .

Go to Start ... Run and type in cmd
A dos Window will appear.
Type in the dos window: netsh winsock reset
Click on the enter key.

Reboot your system to complete the process.

If successful.
Rerun MBAM (MalwareBytes) like this:

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan (normal mode).
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot into normal mode.

Or try these and then MBAM.

For Windows 2K/XP
Please go to Start -> Control Panel, and choose Network Connections. Then right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and left click on properties. Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item and select the radio button that says Obtain DNS servers automatically. Click OK twice, and restart your computer.

Try this--open control, internet options, connections tab, lan settings, uncheck the box next to "use proxy...."

3 Methods of repairing connectivity
METHOD 1

LSP-Fix
Repairs Winsock 2 settings, caused by buggy or improperly-removed Internet software, that result in loss of Internet access
LSP-Fix Home Page
Using LSP-Fix to remove Spyware & Hijackers

METHOD 2

WinSock XP Fix 1.2
It can often cure the problem of lost connections after the removal of Adware components or improper uninstall of firewall applications or other tools that modify the XP network and Winsock settings.
If you encounter connection problems after removing network related software, Adware or after registry clean-up; and all other ways fail, then give WinSock XP Fix a try.
Download WinSock XP Fix 1.2

METHOD 3

Microsoft KB article to reset TCP/IP
One of the components of the Internet connection on your computer is a built-in set of instructions called TCP/IP. TCP/IP can sometimes become corrupted. If you cannot connect to the Internet and you have tried all other methods to resolve the problem, TCP/IP might be causing it.
Because TCP/IP is a core component of Windows, you cannot remove it. However, you can reset TCP/IP to its original state by using the NetShell utility (netsh)
How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users