Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Laptop zu1175 re-install OS

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Johnnyd3398

Johnnyd3398

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:09 PM

I have a big problem and its driving me nuts! I have an older HP Pavillion ZU1175 Laptop. I have unsuccessfully tried to re-install an OS on it. The original HD went bad. So I bought another HD and installed it. But the Computer won't reconize it. I know its a good drive because it is seen in another laptops bios when I put in that one. Its has an adapter that goes on the pins of the HD (like the original one did) All the contacts are conected and all the pins are good (not bent, broken or missing)
I downloaded a Startup disk from an address that I found on this website. It worked perfectly, even though it was a Vista disk. It booted up with the Vista CD, but when it came to the point where I chose the option to install the OS. The same thing happened. "No internal HD" was recognized. This is making me crazy. I saw many other posts with the same type of problem, but all the solutions I tried weren't successful. Can ANYONE please help????? I can't afford to buy another computer. I need to fix this one or get the HD to be recognized to install the OS. If I can't then I'll throw this thing out the window. Then get out my old typewriter!!! LOL Not really, but thats the way I feel right now! Any assistance that you could give me would be great! Thanks very much for letting me vent.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:29 PM

If I understand you correctly you are attempting to put a hard drive from another computer with the OS already on it into your old computer?
Can of worms, at best
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Johnnyd3398

Johnnyd3398
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:54 PM

No I am just ttrying to install a new HD in an old laptop

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:59 PM

Its has an adapter that goes on the pins of the HD

Look at the pins closely and make sure none are bent
From what I've read, that happens quite a bit

Edited by garmanma, 04 December 2009 - 06:00 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users