Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP to Windows 7 upgrade

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Chuck_Knull

Chuck_Knull

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:47 PM

Hi I haven't been around for a while but can sure use some guidance now. I made the jump to Windows 7 Home Premium, upgrade edition. I have several items to clear up but I better take it one at a time.

First - I had read that you couldn't upgrade from XP to Win7. So I was careful to click on the Custom option expecting to do a clean install. I can't recall the exact sequence of events but I now have an aparently nicely working Win 7 and a folder on my C: drive called Windows.old which has a bit over 20 Gig of files. Can I just delete Windows.old or have I actualy screwed things up badly enough to need to restore XP and then try again for a clean install of Win7?
It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

ASUS P5K SE, Core2duo E8500, 4 Gb 800Mhz DDR2, Seagate 1 Tb SATA, Hitachi 1 Tb SATA, LG BDDVDRW 6x Blu-Ray ATI All-in-Wonder HD, 24 inch SOYO wide format LCD Monitor, X-Fi Platinum, Logitech Z-5500 Speaker System

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 03:27 AM

Windows 7 (as well as Windows Vista) creates a folder Windows.old which contains the the "Windows", "Program Files" and "Documents and Settings" folders from the previous version of Windows that you had installed previously.

This is created as a backup of your documents and program settings. You can also use this folder to restore previous version of Windows. You can go through this folder and dig out some of your important files, documents, settings etc. When done you can safely delete this folder.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users