Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

not a new topic but familiar....computer freezing randomly

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 oombella

oombella

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:22 PM

Like many others have posted before, my computer freezes randomly. Initially, I think about a month ago it was perhaps once in a blue moon, but since then it's more frequent. It has frozen when I have had multiple programs running or just one intense one, but now it also freezes at startup in the login screen.

It seems to work a little better after I physically turn it off and then off but not if I do a reset on and off as it will then freeze more frequently with a shorter duration in between freezing.

This happened previously earlier in the summer but then it was a thermal problem and after solving it, it did not arise again until a month ago.

Freezing does not occur when I have it in safe mode at all, THUS FAR.

My comp is about 2 yrs old. I use Windows XP home and Chrome as my browser. I am a lay person and have had some help from a friend but we haven't found anything that seems to be the cause.

Here is what I have done so far:
disc defrag
malbytes scan
avira (virus) scan
windows diagnostic
disk check (for bad sectors)
physically cleaned the fans and checked internal temp = cpu = 37 degrees

Not sure what to do next and I REALLY don't want to have to format if possible.
Luckily I have 3 other computers in the household that do not seem to have this problem...so far.

Thanks for checking my post.

Edited by oombella, 03 December 2009 - 01:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_computersplus_*

Guest_computersplus_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 08:57 PM

a place to start is the startup list click start then click on run in the start menu then type msconfig in the run box and hit enter when the system config screen appears go to the start up tab and you will see all the applications that start and load with Windows uncheck them all and hit apply then exit and restart and see if the freezing issues stops if it does you know it is one of those items you can then re-enable them one at a time and restart and check the system again repeat until you find the offending item if it turns out not to be any of them it may be a device driver loading at start up causing the issue in which case go to the website of who your system is made by and download and install all device drivers good luck.

#3 powerjuce

powerjuce

• Members
  • 321 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 11:36 PM

I suggest you also check to make sure that all your drivers are updated.

~powerjuce

#4 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 06:55 PM

:thumbsup: Your system specs would help. IMHO don't format at this time. I would also not update all your drivers at this time. (sorry) There will be more people post to help you. As you have posted you have 3 other computers to use. Just the smell of it. It still sound like a temp problem. Another question; have you downloaded anything new.

#5 oombella

oombella
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 07:03 PM

Thanks for your replies.

I actually did both things mentioned and discovered something else.

Although my comp is at an acceptable temp, I discovered while working with my case open that my cpu fan was only spinning intermittently instead of all the time.

So I'm obviously going to replace that and see if all goes well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users