Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Router issue?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jpm1363

jpm1363

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:00 PM

Hello all,

I am having some issues with internet connection on one of my desktops. It is showing that the computer is connected to the network, however; I cannot access the internet from that computer. I tried releasing/renewing my IP address from that computer, and it will not renew. Any ideas as to what I should do? is it a router problem or a connection issue?

I am running Windows XP

Thanks,

Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:34 PM

If it won't renew the IP address then it is not connecting to the router. You said one of your desktops, what else is connected? And how are they connected - wireless or wired? If you have other PCs connected and they aren't having any issues then that sort of leans us away from thinking it is the router.

Try this - At a command prompt -> type netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt in that window and hit Enter. Then Reboot the PC. See if you can connect. If you can great but if not please don't forget to answer the questions above.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 jpm1363

jpm1363
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:53 PM

If it won't renew the IP address then it is not connecting to the router. You said one of your desktops, what else is connected? And how are they connected - wireless or wired? If you have other PCs connected and they aren't having any issues then that sort of leans us away from thinking it is the router.

Try this - At a command prompt -> type netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt in that window and hit Enter. Then Reboot the PC. See if you can connect. If you can great but if not please don't forget to answer the questions above.

Hello Cavedweller,

Thank you for your response. I have one PC that is connected to the router. The other PC is connected wireless. The PC that is connected wireless is not responding. I am getting a strong signal, but no connection. I have had nothing but trouble with routers the past year or so. I think I have had to replace it 3X. That is what leads me to wonder if it is another router gone bad

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

#4 jpm1363

jpm1363
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:55 PM

Oh yes......I also tried what you suggested with no luck.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:27 PM

Open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all and hit enter. Below is what mine looks like. Yours should look similar. Specially where it is bold. Where mine has 192.168.2.X yours will probably have 169.x.x.x. On the back of most routers is a little button, sometimes labeled sometimes not, press and hold that button in for 10 or so seconds. You'll need a needle or straightened paper clip to do it. Then try the ipconfig /release & /renew see if you can get a new IP address. Check that with [i]ipconfig /all[i] if you get a 192 IP woot if you get a 169 IP Booo.

What is the make and model of the router?

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : tbone
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Belkin

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Belkin
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/10
0/1000Base-T Adapter, Copper RJ-45
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-D8-86-33-A0
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.4
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, December 02, 2009 4:15:01
AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, October 11, 1933 9:46:45
PM

Just for FYI - TBone is a nickname I picked up...lol

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 jpm1363

jpm1363
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:48 PM

CaveDweller,

The one thing that jumped out at me when I did the ipconfig/all is that under the " Ethernet adapter wireless network"

it says that the media is disconnected. Could this mean that the wireless adapter is bad??

Oh yes .........My router is a Linksys N Ultrarange Plus

#7 jpm1363

jpm1363
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:55 PM

I tried to release/renew. When I entered ipconfig/ release, I got the message "no operation can be performed on local area connection while it has its media disconnected"

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:46 PM

What about the wired PC? Does it have the same Media disconnected message? Cause I was giving you instructions for that PC not the PC connected wireless.

I would hard reset the router too. Push and hold the button in the back for 10 seconds.

#9 jpm1363

jpm1363
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:51 PM

Yes the wired computer displays the same info you posted. I did reset the router as well. Still no luck

#10 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:43 AM

and I am assuming this has worked with this router in the past right?

You can't connect wireless either correct? After the reset I knew you couldn't before. Does the wireless get an IP address?

What is the make and model of the router?

BTW - how are you surfing now?

#11 jpm1363

jpm1363
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:47 AM

I am not able to get an IP address on the wireless. BTW It is a Linksys N Ultrarangeplus.

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 02:07 PM

When you did your reset it should have wiped the router clean at which point you have to to a complete reinstall, if that did not happen then the reset was not held long enough.

Phil

P.S. I have the same router!

Edited by OldPhil, 04 December 2009 - 02:08 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#13 jpm1363

jpm1363
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:43 PM

Hello Oldphil

I did do a complete reinstall. I still cannot connect from the wireless desktop. could it possibly be the wireless adapter?

#14 Guest_burnit_*

Guest_burnit_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:19 PM

Ok here as a few things that it could be...
The wireless adapter is not compatible with the wireless transfer protocols. (unlikely but also possible, if you have installed the software for the router on the computer with the wireless adapter, then it should have also downloaded and installed any missing protocols.)
Second, the wireless NIC(network card), is incompatible with your OS. (Unlikely if you have successfully installed any drivers or what not needed with the packaged cd).
Third, someone has been fooling around with your router. (unlikely if you have reset it multiple times)
Fourth, malicious code, I have seen many virus's, trojans, worms, and so forth that can, do or will knock out internet connections... Most common is the wireless connections, cause the protocols for transfers and connections are much different and easier to spoof. This seems to be to be closer to the problem... If both computers are saying the media is disconnected but one of them are able to access the internet... I would suggest using Spyware Terminator, and Avast. Scan both computers see what you come up with... (also I am more leaning towards this if you had to replace multiple routers) (http://spywareterminator.com, http://avast.com)

#15 jpm1363

jpm1363
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:10 PM

I'm beginning to think that It may be the Wireless Adapter on the PC . My son was able to connect to the network on his Ipod Touch. That being said, does anybody have an opinion either way on USB adapters??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users