Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP can't boot up; CHKDSK freezes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zdLee

zdLee

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:51 AM

:thumbsup: Two days ago, when I came home from work, my computer, which had been left on all day, had a black screen which stated (from my memory, didn't write it down): Sorry for the inconvenience, there has been a change which prevents windows from starting. This was followed by several options to boot Windows. I tried every option: Boot normally, Boot Safe Mode, Last Known good. None of these options worked, so I tried to boot up from the Window XP CD which also didn't work. Then I tried using the recovery console to repair but found that chkdsk /r would start checking the drive but would hang up at 14% complete, which I let run for a couple hours but which appeared frozen at 14% complete. Next, I tried to perform an in place upgrade from the Windows XP CD. Before it upgrades it does a chkdsk which again hung up at 14% complete. I let this run about 8 hours but found it was frozen at 14% complete. I don't have a recent backup - my bad.

Back ground: the day before the XP boot up problem, I had used CCleaner to do a registry scan and clean. Could this have caused the problem?

Any ideas on what else I might try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,743 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:22 PM

IMO, sounds like you have either an NTFS file system or a hard drive problem.

Either will stop chkdsk /r from completion.

I would try the respective manufacturer's hard drive diagnostic, Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

I would remove my data files deemed valuable...from that system first.

Data files may still be accessible...by slaving your hard drive to another system (temporarily). Moving data files from partition to another is routine.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 03 December 2009 - 03:04 PM.

#3 zdLee

zdLee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:42 PM

Louis,

I forgot to mention that I did do a hard drive diagnostic and it didn't find any problems. I will follow your advice and try to remove/move my data files.

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users