Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bleeping Computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 andrewset

andrewset

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:20 AM

I thought this would be a cute forum to ask this question in. For some reason, my computer tower recently started making a single beep noise every time any sort of invalid action was performed. I think it was the type of action that normally received a Windows beep audio, through my speakers, not from the tower itself, whereas, now, it comes as an annoying beep from the tower. Not a big problem, but I was just wondering if there's a way to turn that off? I never turned it on in the first place.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:47 AM

If beeps are coming from the system...and not from speakers...chances are those are BIOS beeps or warnings of some type built/incorporated into motherboard.

I think I'd try to find out why that's happening and what those beeps might mean on that system.

Louis

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:19 PM

Depending on the model or mainboard, it is possible to set some computers to send "windows sounds" to the system speaker. Many modern boards use a pizeo-electric speaker on board instead of the older 4 pin case speaker (ibm style since the pc-jr) on the "header" connectors on the mainboard. The ability to set this on computers with on-board sound is so rare I have never seen one.

It may even be a bios setting on a few. Test if in control panel - sound and see if the windows standard error beep coincides with the beep from the tower. If it is sending all windows sounds through this speaker, it should sound pretty demented.

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:16 AM

Is it all sounds or some sounds that come from the PC Speaker?

I don't know if you can tell XP to send certain sounds to the PC speaker and other sounds the other way.

Maybe you accidentally enabled Sticky Keys. That will cause a PC speaker beep every time you press keys like Shift, CTRL, Atl, the Windows key, etc. If you press those keys listed, do you get a speaker beep?

What sort of "invalid action" do you need to perform to make the speaker beep?

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users