Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display problems with Windows ME

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mrsstetz

mrsstetz

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 11 August 2005 - 03:44 PM

My sister recenly gave my young daughter an "older" computer that she no longer had use for. The main purpose is to allow my daughter to play CD-rom games in her room. It has no internet connection now, although it was hooked up to the internet at my sister's house over a year or so ago.

Upon hooking it up and turning it on, of course I got an error message and couldn't even get on windows. My mouse wasn't even working. I can't remember the exact error message but it involved a Kernel32.dll file. I rebooted to safe mode and tried to uninstall all the "junk" on the computer that I could. It was loaded with downloads (music), napster, kazaa, games, etc. I also ran the virus protection that was already installed (Norton 2002!!!) and found no infections, although I understand this is way out of date but it was better than nothing. When I rebooted in normal mode the error message was gone, I was able to get on windows, and my mouse worked. However, the display is in 16 colors and the icons are large.

I have tried changing the display through the control panel to either 256 color or 16 bit high color with 800x600 pixels. Each time I do I get an immediate message that I must restart the computer for the changes to take effect. When I reboot, the display is right back to where it started - 16 color, large icons.

Most, if not all, of my daughter's cd-rom games will not run on this display. Could this be a problem with the Windows ME, or is it a hardware problem? A possible virus??

I tried installing my Norton Internet Security 2005 cd to no avail. I keep getting the error message that a previous install attempt has been detected and I need to reboot to complete. However, when I reboot and try again I get the same message. I also tried to uninstall the Norton 2002 version that is already on the computer thinking this was the problem but I can't.

Could it just be a problem with the monitor itself??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 11 August 2005 - 04:12 PM

This computer probably has some major issues and will need to be connected to the internet in order to clean it up.
It is probably infected with all sorts of spyware, just one that I have noticed is Kazaa which is a big spyware attraction.
If this computer is not going to be connected to the internet I would suggest, if the restore disks are available, to restore it to the factory install then connect to the internet install a free Antivirus such as AVG then install all the Windows Updates then you will not need antivirus updates from then on if it is not ever connected to the net.

Is the Monitor the original one that came with this computer?
I am sure it is capable of displaying at least 800X600.

#3 mrsstetz

mrsstetz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 05:52 PM

Yes, the monitor is the original. It is also capable of displaying 800x600, it just won't stay that way.

I'll search for the original discs.

Thanks.

#4 neochivers

neochivers

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2005 - 01:18 PM

i had this issue when i formatadded my XP comp and reinstalled XP... what u need to do is to go the Windows update website (get net on that comp) and do a custom scan and there will b drivers for the video card and/or the monitor.... install these and it will work
"If anything goes wrong blame it on the guy who cant speak english" : Homer Simpson

#5 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:03 PM

NEVER install drivers for ANYTHING on your computer that come from Microsoft's update, always go to the manufacturer for the latest driver. I can't tell you how many times people have messed up their computers by getting driver updates from Microsoft, just don't do it.
Anyway it sounds like your video driver is jacked up, do you know what brand/model video card it is?

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2005 - 08:54 PM

You could use the computer that you are on now to find the updated driver at either the Windows site or the video card manufacturer's site and put it on a floppy disc to install it in your disfunctionable computer.

#7 mrsstetz

mrsstetz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 12:09 PM

Unfortunately, my sister cannot find any of the original paperwork, discs. etc for this computer. I'm not sure which video card is in it. I can find that out by looking on the computer itself, right? If I can, then I can do the "floppy disc route" as a first try. Thanks.

#8 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2005 - 01:45 PM

You should be able to look on the computer manufactures website and find all the necessary drivers for that model.

If you will provide the comuter make & model I will be glad to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users