Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No updates possible, antivirus not 'visible'

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bmason

bmason

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:44 AM

Hello Group,

I am using a 64 bit Toshiba laptop, running Vista. Initially, we had a free subscription to Norton. When that ran out, I uninstalled Norton, and installed Avira free instead. The problems seem to date from about that time.
This computer has a wireless connection to a network. The connection is reported to be strong, but...

Internet download starts quickly, then slows, and stops.
Microsoft auto-update or manual update stalls and has not updated since September.
An attempt to run housecall seemed to work, except that the update file download stalled stopped at about 40% or so.
Same thing happened when attempting to install Microsoft Security essentials - program installs, but definitions update stops loading at about 30% or so.
I have uninstalled Avira to install Security Essentials, but when Avira was 'active', it appeared to run normally, and even auto-update. However, when running the Vista Health report, all systems including security came up 'green', however the contradictory message of 'no antivirus software present' came up as a warning.
An attempt to install AVG also stalled when attempting to install updates. (I downloaded the program with a different computer - I could not download the program here.
The new A-squared 1 Mb file to check whether the system had any infection disconnected the internet connection, then complained that an internet connection was necessary to run the program.

Oddly enough, the computer appears to run fairly normally in other respects, with word, power point, videos, etc. However, streaming videos and anything else requiring a download of any reasonable size stalls.

I downladed and ran a file called DDS.scr, after seeing it mentioned on one of your posts, and have saved the two resulting files.

That's where we stand now. What is most frustrating, is that no recovery disk was made for the system when the computer was first set up. :-(

Can you help??

Thanks,

bmason

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bmason

bmason
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 01:07 PM

Most problems seem to be fixed by direct LAN connection to school server. Wireless seemed to have possibly been 'throttling' large downloads.
Windows updates (41 of them) are now installed, Microsoft security essentials has been installed as antivirus product, and updated correctly. Housecall 64 ran, and came up clean.

However, I am still mystified by the message "The Security Center has not recorded an antivirus product", and Reliability and Performance System Health Check, though the same reports "Security Center Checks" to be "passed".

I have to assume all is well, but I remain a bit skeptical.

bmason

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 05:04 PM

Some reading here even though they're referring to Windows 7
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums...f6-875d1e79217c

How did you uninstall Avria?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users