Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Dell PII computer won't power on - need to test PSU

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 spiraling

spiraling

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:21 AM

Lucky for me I have an old Dell PII that runs proprietary shop software and it is now kaput.

It was having intermittent power issues for one day and today it is totally gone. The machine was on for about 3 years nonstop so I could see how it could be the PSU.

The mobo seems to be getting juice as it has a green lead that stays on when connected.

I am trying to rule out whether it is the power supply so I can go further down the chain and see if it is processor/mobo.

The power supply is the wonderful proprietary Dell PS-5111-1D and I can't find any info on it anywhere such as pin layout, etc. I know how to test a standard PSU but clearly isn't one. So any help on this would be appreciated.

The system is not the greatest but it runs a proprietary shop software that is no longer supported so I need to keep this config. if possible.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by spiraling, 03 December 2009 - 06:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roger Stace

Roger Stace

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:35 AM

Hi

To tell you the honest truth, a dell is not the best option. as you can see only special PSU's are required for this machine.

Give us the specs of the machine.

I would sugesst upgrading the machine with newer generic machine as those parts are obslote and it will more likely have taken the board with it.

Sorry to give you the news, but dell is bad

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:03 PM

<<The system is not the greatest but it runs a proprietary shop software that is no longer supported so I need to keep this config. if possible.>>

What makes you think a newer, more powerful system won't run this software with at least as much aplomb as your PII system?

Louis

#4 spiraling

spiraling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:13 PM

I think I mentioned that I can't reinstall the software. I have to either make it work on the current machine or somehow get that hard drive transplanted in another system.

The machine is Optiplex GX1

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:42 PM

No...I see no mention of such.

Considering that this software cannot be reinstalled...how is it that you have no backup or other capability....just in case your hard drive happens to die?

I suppose it is better to be lucky :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:13 PM

You can use any power supply!!!!!!!! What you must do though is to change the pin out and move the wires to the Dell configuration, Except for ratings all supplies are the same only the way they wire into the MoBo is different on Dell. I have had Dells for many years!

Reference: http://pinouts.ru/Power/dell_atxpower_pinout.shtml

This is standard but needs to be changed to the above. http://pinouts.ru/Power/atxpower_pinout.shtml

Phil

Edited by OldPhil, 03 December 2009 - 09:16 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#7 Roger Stace

Roger Stace

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:39 AM

Hi Oldphil

What if some people are not so experienced as this with wires etc. What do you do then?

#8 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:17 AM

It is a lot easier then it looks, 15 minutes worth of work and you can run any quality supply. There are thin tabs in the plug that secure the wires in position, your supply is dead anyway experiment with the plug on it. Once you figure out how to release the pins from the plug you are on your way, that is the hardest part. The wires are obviously color coded, insert the empty plug into the board then follow the color coding on the Dell diagram. If it leaves you a little queasy just don't push them in all the way until you are sure they match the diagram before you power up.
Don't be embarrassed to ask a friend to come over to add moral support and read the diagram off to you. Believe me it is quite easy!!

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:26 AM

The purpose of this procedure is to bypass the motherboard to test a ATX PSU. Some manufacturers Like Dell have used some non ATX PSUs which have a different pinout for the 20/4 pin connector, please confirm that your PSU is a ATX type before using this procedure.

Caution:
This procedure will involve working with live 12VDC electrical potentials which if handled improperly may lead to electrical shock. Proper precautions should also be taken to prevent electrostatic discharges (ESDs) within the case of the computer. For safety purposes please follow the instructions step by step.

First, shutdown your computer. Then unplug the power cable going into your computer.

Once you have opened the case, touch the metal of the case to discharge any static electricity.

The connector of the PSU which connects to the motherboard is readily recognizable by the number of wires in the bundle. To disconnect it you will need to press on the plastic clip to disengage it and then pull the connector up and away from the motherboard. Please take notice of the location of the locking tab and the notch on the socket of the motherboard, this will only connect one way as it is keyed. This wire bundle will have a memory of the way it has been installed and will want to bend back that direction, you may have to play around with it to find a position that the connector will stay in the same position while you run the test.

Posted Image

From the top left to right the pins are 13-24, the bottom from left to right are 1-12.

Please notice that there are PSUs with 24 pin and 20 pin connectors, the location of the green wire in the 24 pin connector is #16, and the green wire in the 20 pin connector is #14. If you look at the connector with socket side facing you and the clip on the top the number one pin will be on the bottom left corner. This makes the pin out for the 24 pin connector from left to right 13-24 on top, and 1-12 on the bottom. The pin out for the 20 pin connector from left to right is 11-20 on top , and 1-10 on the bottom. If you look at the connectors you notice that these are sockets that fit over the pins on the motherboard where the PSU cable attaches, this is where you will place the jumper. For a jumper you will need a piece of solid wire about the size of a paper clip (20-22 awg), preferably a wire with insulation. It will need to be large enough to fit firmly into the socket so that it will not need to be held in place while testing. You are at risk of electrical shock if you are holding the jumper when you power up the PSU. Insert one end of the jumper into the socket of the Green wire, and insert the other end into the socket of any Black wire.

Once the jumper is in place plug the cord back in. If the PSU is working properly the case fans, optical drives, hdds, and LEDs should power up and remain on. I would suggest that you not leave this connected any longer than is necessary for safety purposes.

To reconnect the 20/4 pin connector unplug the power cord, remove the jumper, and reconnect the connector. Take a moment at this time to make sure that nothing has been dislodged inside the case.

At this point you can use a DC Voltmeter to read the different rail Voltages. You will want to insert the black probe into any of the Black (-) sockets, and insert the Red (+) probe in the five different colored sockets, one at a time. Below are the five different colors and their corresponding rail Voltages. The Voltages should be within about ten percent of the given values.

Yellow +12VDC

Blue -12VDC

Red +5VDC

White -5VDC

Orange +3.3VDC
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:37 PM

Now that it has gotten frightening buy one of these, check your model against the list.

http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/Dell-P10-c...tor-adapter.php

I like using what I and saving a buck but the adapter makes it plug & play!

#11 spiraling

spiraling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:18 PM

It just happens that the shop manager lost the software and the program is not supported any longer by the manufacturer. Then of course a few years pass by by the time these things get to you.

@ Gramanma - I don't have any green wires on this one whatsoever!

Phil - thanks for providing the pinout, at least hopefully I can isolate the power cable to do a jump test on the PS as I need to isolate the problem.

Edited by spiraling, 04 December 2009 - 06:19 PM.

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:52 PM

Now that it has gotten frightening

How so?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#13 spiraling

spiraling
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:36 PM

OK, I did the following test. On the Russian site there was a diagram for the Dell pin layout, so according to that:
http://pinouts.ru/Power/dell_atxpower_pinout.shtml

Pin 11 and pin 12 should correspond to the #14 and #15 on a 20 pin standard ATX connector. So with that in mind I did jump the two with a paper clip piece that was held securely and attached a fan to one of the available power connectors. The fan did not spin. Then I proceeded to test with a voltmeter 16,17,18,20 witha positive tip and a negative to the ground (#13) and got very low readings under 1 volt. So by this I assume I can safely conclude the PS is toast?

#14 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:10 AM

Now that it has gotten frightening

How so?

A little prod to keep him moving no offense spiraling!

#15 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:13 AM

OK, I did the following test. On the Russian site there was a diagram for the Dell pin layout, so according to that:
http://pinouts.ru/Power/dell_atxpower_pinout.shtml

Pin 11 and pin 12 should correspond to the #14 and #15 on a 20 pin standard ATX connector. So with that in mind I did jump the two with a paper clip piece that was held securely and attached a fan to one of the available power connectors. The fan did not spin. Then I proceeded to test with a voltmeter 16,17,18,20 witha positive tip and a negative to the ground (#13) and got very low readings under 1 volt. So by this I assume I can safely conclude the PS is toast?

Yes! If it had popped its fuse there would be no current what soever! You will be fine just take your time, like mentioned above the Dell supplies are just passable pickup something quality.

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users