Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer's starting to freeze...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Mikazumi

Mikazumi

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:43 AM

Hey again! I'm not sure (again) if there's anything wrong with my PC when it comes to viruses, but it seems to be freezing every so often such as when I'm on facebook or trying to play one of my RPGs, it doesn't unfreeze which causes me to restart. Never before has the computer been freezing this badly, so I thought I'd check it out, it needs a checkup anyway.

Normally I'd check with my selection of virus scanners, BUT: According to people on various websites, Avast! Did some kinda nasty update(?) which detects many false-positives, many of these which come from Spyware Doctor, therefore Avast! has pretty much blocked off possibilities of using Spyware Doctor for the moment. I also have MBAM and SUPERantispyware, which I haven't gone to scan with yet as I'm trying to run a BitDefender online scanner, which still fails to update for me ^^; I will proceed to try Kaspersky in that case.

I've checked for redirects on google, no redirects. I did have a firewall but the ones I tried kept conflicting with my other programs, or they expired. I *should* be able to actually buy a good firewall now, seems more possible, but I don't have Paypal (yet) so I don't know where to go from there...also, if I do pay for a firewall, I'm going to be buying a laptop soon, and upgrading this computer's OS to Windows 7, so would I have to pay for two firewalls instead of one or something similar to that? Thankyou in advance :D I will reply or edit this post (if I can) with scan results.

UPDATE: BitDefender decided it didn't want to update, but...I got Spyware Doctor to work properly again! I'm now doing a full scan to see what pops up :flowers: I haven't even tried to touch Avast! yet...

UPDATE: Oh joy of joys, computer froze again. I managed to pin-point what's making it happen. It appears to be the game FlyFF and/or Gameguard >.< it only happened today, so I'm not sure how I'm gonna get around it. This isn't the first time I had troubles with Gameguard (Firewall thought it was a hacker, Gameguard thought Firewall was a hacker, epic battle, Firewall wins) I emailed the tech support in case they are at fault. Also, when I upgrade to Windows 7, how will I back up all the stuff I want to keep (such as images and songs) and where will it go? This topic is beginning to get off topic :thumbsup: if required please move it, I didn't intend to drone on to other subjects.

Edited by Mikazumi, 03 December 2009 - 10:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rmpbklyn

rmpbklyn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:23 PM

try malware bytes anti-virus

clean your startup programs :
see http://rmaniac.blogspot.com/2009/01/run-type-services.html

Edited by rmpbklyn, 14 December 2009 - 04:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users