Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Losing modem connection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Alamaxia

Alamaxia

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:23 AM

Wasn't exactly sure what forums to post this in...

I have been having a recurring issue with maintaining a solid internet connection through my ISP for the past 5 years. Basically, my modem will randomly disconnect, and then reconnect approx 20 seconds later and it is good for a little bit. There are times when it has a fit and I have a disconnect/reconnect every few minutes. It seems to occur when there is some sort of sharp temperature change outside (yes, I have actually monitored that!) or when a large packet of information is sent (I play WoW and it occurs very very often when a large pull occurs in a 25-man instance).

I was told by one tech several years ago that there are temperature sensors out at the main lines that will "open" and "close" with the temperature to increase/decrease the signal. I did purchase a signal booster from Radio Shack and have the gain turned up almost all the way... yet I still have this issue. When I have had techs out at my house, they have done a signal test on my lines and have determined that there is nothing at all wrong with the physical lines coming from the main line, to the house, and inside the house.

I use a Linksys Cable Modem and a Netgear G Router... I have a direct Cat6 cable running from my router to my computer. When I disconnect, I visibly see that the modem loses connection.

Any ideas?

Thank you in advance!

~Alamaxia

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:20 AM

Call your ISP and see if they will swap your cable modem for you. Usually they will without too many questions. Also, remove your signal booster entirely before you install the new cable modem and see how it goes from there. The reason for this is to eliminate it as a potential problem as well.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:54 PM

Umm you have had this issue for 5 years and you haven't been on the phone with the ISP every day? I used to work for an ISP the more you complain and threaten to go elsewhere the more they will do to keep you. But do it nicely. I used to have people screaming in my ear and I had to waste time calming them down and if they didn't I did the bare minimum I could do to help, but those people that vented(cause we all need to) then said sorry had to vent and was nice from then on I bent over backwards helping.

I have no idea what the tech is talking about when it comes to sensors giving or taking signal. Perhaps an electrician reading this can explain. But if you had a sensor that was controlled by the weather then either in winter or summer you wouldn't have any internet unless you live some place that the temp doesn't change that much.

The minimum they should have done was give you another modem. Perhaps its time to go somewhere else if they can't get it fixed? or aren't doing more than saying "Nope its on your end"

Here is the #1 Tip I can give of all time - When you are having an issue with something, that is the time to get someone to look at it. And this goes beyond PCs. So when you are losing signal right then and there call your ISP, they have someone there 24/7.

In the end, be a squeaky wheel you'll get more grease.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 Alamaxia

Alamaxia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 02:22 AM

Heh - I gave up trying to use their modems and got a Linksys modem which even still had problems (though they were fewer). I really should keep on them more... but the problem is that whenever I do have the problem, it takes me 30 minutes to get to a tech, and then they walk me through what they read on a card (reset modem, reset computer, reset router, reconfigure my network connections) before they will even consider testing my signal. By that time the issue has resolved itself for another little bit and they "find nothing wrong" with my connection. >.<

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:48 AM

When you call you tell the tech I am having the issue right now and test your line. You've reset all your crap a billion times. The modem is losing connection right now test your line. Be nice but firm about it. And yes you should call every time it happens. They make note of each time you call and what is going on. The more you call the more notes are made and sooner or later a red flag goes up that you've called 30 times in the last month and they will get it fixed. I promise you it works.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:08 AM

Connect your PC directly to the cable modem and browse to 192.18.100.1 with your favorite browser. Do you see a page here?

If so, what is the Power level and Signal to Noise (S/N) ratio?

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:50 AM

Heh - I gave up trying to use their modems and got a Linksys modem which even still had problems (though they were fewer).

Throwing this into the mix:
Did you check to see if the modem is approved to use with your ISP?
Probably not related to your issue, since you mention years of issues which include modems furnished by your ISP.
Just something I needed to ask.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users