Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3 Spybot files identified as infected by Avast antivirus

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 AGGROxp

AGGROxp

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:56 AM

AV: Avast Anitvirus 4.8 Home Edition
AS: Spybot Search & Destroy
FW: Comodo Firewall v3.13

Hello.

I just recently logged into my computer today and got a popup from my antivirus, notifying me that the virus database has been updated (VPS: 091203-0, 12/03/2009). Shortly after this, avast starts performing a resident protection scan and starts kicking out messages saying 4 files, used by Spybot Search & Destroy are infected with a trojan (Win32:Delf-MZG[Trj]). These files are VOL_TO~1.DLL, teatimer.exe, advcheck.dll and SDHELPER.DLL. I chose to have the files moved to the virus chest and quarantined. I'm not sure what to do, as I can't seem to find any information, on whether this might be a false alert due to an erroneous update or a legitimate infection.. This is the first time I have seen any type of issue between these two programs. I'm wondering if the avast antivirus database update, that just occurred, is triggering a false positive. I haven't had any issues recently, except for one involving an IE add on (flash10b.ocx) that went awry, after updating my adobe reader to version 9. The shockwave object errors out and I end up having to close the browser window. But I do not believe that the virus alerts I'm getting have anything to do with that, as this just started happening after the anitvirus update. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone could offer, as I'm unsure of what route to take from this point.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:22 AM

You are not alone.....thousands who have the Avast update of the 3rd. December have the same problem and some have near total destruction of their systems.

Avast is aware of the issue but as yet there is no resolution from them.

As to what to do in the interim.......totally ignore what Avast is telling you about Spybot and leave the Spybot files in place.

#3 AGGROxp

AGGROxp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:28 AM

Hello Alumbagh. Well, sorry to hear that I'm not alone... I would think that avast would be a bit more proactive on rolling out an update. I also opened a support ticket with them and have yet to recieve any type of response whatsoever. I checked all the files and everyone of them are legitimate resource files for Spybot. I tried restoring the files from quarantine but alas... It will not restore them. And since these are DLL's, one of them being the program executable (SpybotSD.exe) I cannot run Spybot. You stated that some are experiencing system failures because of this as well?

#4 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:31 AM

>>>You stated that some are experiencing system failures because of this as well?<<<

Apparently yes, and others are experiencing a slow "creep" whereby their installed programs are being disabled one-by-one.

A total mess, and very unlike Avast which is normally a well behaved prog.

To recover your Spybot files, try again but first disable the Avast standard shield...that may get them back.

#5 AGGROxp

AGGROxp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:48 AM

Avast has responded and issued a fix. Immediately update your iAVS from the previous version which has the issue: 091203-0, to the updated fix: 091203-1. Then update the program itself, from version: 4.8.1356, to the updated version: 4.8.1368. Restart your computer.

#6 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:18 AM

Thank you...I was just about to post the same info.

Not sure if that fix will allow you to recover your Spybot files ?

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:15 AM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:39 AM

Hello,

I'm shifting this topic to the AV forum where you might get some additional assistance there from folks who focus on these kinds of issues.

Off the top of my head, two possibilities come to mind 1) do a repair install of spybot or 2) uninstall spybot and reinstall it.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users