Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

To many processes in windows 7?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 FiLeBaRoN

FiLeBaRoN

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:48 AM

hi guys,
This is my first time posting on this forum, so i appologize in advance if i post incorrectly.
Here are the specs of my computer:
MotherBoard: ASUS CROSSHAIR AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
Cpu: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+ (x64) at 3013MHz
Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) in Dual Channel mode
Graphics: EVGA 640-P2-N825-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB
Power: Thermaltake W0116RU 750W
Hard Drives: 2 500gb (used as data/game drives - both have Perpendicular Recording) 2 320gb (Raid 0 array, used as boot/system drive)-all drives are Sata II

Ok i have 3 issues that i need help with:

1. About 6 months ago while beta testing Windows 7 my computer began making audible clicking sounds inside the tower from time to time and while it was making this sound it also made a sound that i would normally hear when first powering on the system and then i would get hit with a bsod. I wrote down the error code that was listed along with the additional codes that were listed, and thru research (google) i determined the error code had to do with a possible faulty cpu, mismatched memory, or a faulty video adapter. I went and downloaded prime 95, sandra, and memtest86 and thoroughly ran those programs on my system and they found no problems with any of my hardware. I opened my tower and cleaned all of the dust bunnies out, made sure that the ram and the video adapter were seated properly, and took off my cpu cooler and reseated it with a new coat of artic silver. I then booted up my computer again and ran the stress tests again and it came up clean (no errors reported). After windows 7 was finally released i bought a copy and did a format and clean install on my system. Since the reinstall i havent had any BSOD's but the clicking sound still occurs (not as frequently as under the windows 7 beta). what can i do, or what test software can i run to help dermine what could be causing this to happen.

2. After installing all my applications after the windows 7 clean install i saw in the task manager that i have at any given moment 74 to 78 processes running under the processes tab. Is there an application that i can run that would turn off services not needed (like a gamer mode, etc)?

3.I have also noticed (using a network resource monitor) that every so often my internet traffic picks up and holds steady (averages approx 20 KB download, 500KB upload) for about 5 to 10 minutes then drops, then about 5 minutes later it does it again. I have no internet applications running (like Interent explorer, Yahoo messenger, etc.) I downloaded and ran hijackthis and after having the file examined it was determined that no problems were found. I have also run Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and performed a full scan of my system and it also didnt find any active infections. What other applications can i run to determine if my system is clean of spyware/malware/rootkits?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide :huh:

Edited by FiLeBaRoN, 03 December 2009 - 12:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dimrealm

dimrealm

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:39 AM

Have you been able to pinpoint where these clicking sounds are coming from? Do they appear to be coming from the internal speaker?

Might possibly be the beginning stages of the dreaded hard drive "click of death". If you do find it coming from one of the hard drives, then you have the beginning stages of a hard drive going south. I would keep the case open for a quick audible inspection and replace the drive....if that is indeed where it is coming from

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:40 PM

Hard drive sounds:
http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

As far as running processes go, there is no easy way. It will take some effort on your part
You will have to research the different items, using Google. You can also check on top of this forum page, clicking on the File Database and Startup list tabs

every so often my internet traffic picks up and holds steady

It could very well be an installed program searching for updates

Edited by garmanma, 03 December 2009 - 04:42 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users