Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MALWAREWEBLIST.com

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sbath1

sbath1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:13 AM

okay this is my first time posting in here.

so the problem i have is.. i had the anvir.exe virus and i followed steps i found on here using HJT and it worked great, but after i restarted my computer everything looked to be fine until i went on to craigslist and all of the sudden this malwareweblink.com (http://malwareweblist.com/block.php?id=2036-2&url=http://vancouver.en.craigslist.org/forums/?act=Q&ID=144014843)

took over the screen and says my computer is at risk and it gives me two options

continue unprotected or get security software

i am running avg for firwall spyware and antivirus. this doesnt only happen with only craigslist it happens with almost every website i go to. not every time either but 50% of the time.

if i click continue unprotected it goes back to the website i was previously at but then pops up again. so i tried to click get security software and it takes me to a website to purchase antivir antivirus (http://malwareweblist.com/1/?id=2036-2)

so i belive this is a virus or somthing so if anyone can help me with this problem would be great thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gus4520

gus4520

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 28 December 2009 - 10:39 PM

THe problem is that it also installs a BHO(browser helper object) into IE. I just fixed the same problem. Try the following:

1) Open IE

2) Click 'Tools'

3) Click 'Manage Addons'

4) Scroll down the list and look for 'UpdateCheck.dll'

5) Select this and choose 'disable'

6) Restart IE

This will disable the BHO and the computer will function normally again. The file is located in C:\windows\system32\ and can be deleted from the system. One thing I noticed is that it stays in the addon list even after deletion. I don't think that this is actually a problem. I just don't know how to remove it from the list.

Matt

#3 Astro Chicken

Astro Chicken

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:16 AM

I don't think that this is actually a problem. I just don't know how to remove it from the list.

Matt

Thanks for the fix Matt. I disabled Addons when I was troubleshooting the issue but didn't realize that it turned itself back on. Now that I deleted the file it shouldn't come back.

It's easy to remove it from the list of Addons, just search the registry for UpdateCheck.dll and delete the key container. It only appeared once for me in the registry and it was strictly for the Addon listing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users