Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

simpleton sound issue with XP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:26 PM

somehow i deleted my speaker icon from my system tray...

i went into the control panel, clicked on "sounds and audio devices"...

under the initial properties window, it has a box to check for "place volume icon on taskbar" so i checked it, and then selected "apply"...

guess what. no dice. 4 times in a row, no dice...

what gives?

i tried the "taskbar and start menu" choice on the control panel as well with similar results...

Edited by ltdave, 02 December 2009 - 07:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:42 PM

Did you try a system restore?

#3 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:48 PM

no, that seemed like an awfully extreme procedure for getting my speaker icon back on the system tray. especially since ive checked the option to put it on the system tray...

ill give it a shot...

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Members
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:04 PM

It is a registry 'tweak' if you are comfortable with that. If so, DO NOT forget to back up you your registry!!!

If you are unsure how to do that? See here: Demystifying the Windows Registry

The 'tweak' can be found here: Kelly's Korner Registry Edits for Windows XP

Scroll down to line 316 Then in the right column, you will see: Sound Icon - Enable

Click that and you will have your registry edit information.

Did I mention BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY, first??? :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 knitwendy

knitwendy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 21 October 2010 - 01:41 AM

Hi,

I had the same problem...my volume icon disappeared, even though in the Control Panel, it was supposed to be showing. I also right-clicked on the Taskbar for Properties, etc. and made sure to click both the volume icon and my laptop's battery icon to "always show". Didn't work. I tried your reference to the tweak, and I got it to work for the volume icon (I was so pleased with myself), for about 24 hours. Now, it's gone again. I keep re-setting the registry, but not only does it not take effect, but when I re-boot, the registry keeps going back to the other setting.

After doing this a couple of times, I just now lost my chevron that you click to show the inactive icons.

Really, the battery one is the WORST, since I've lost my "power low, need to switch" (or whatever the exact wording is), and my laptop has hibernated unexpectedly on me! Grrrr...

I checked out the Kelly's Korner for the battery thing, but I didn't seem to find anything, and a regular Yahoo search didn't turn up a whole lot, either. :thumbsup:

Any help is appreciated, though a system restore seems a bit extreme to me, too????

Thanks!

BTW, I'm running XP Pro SP3.

Edited by knitwendy, 21 October 2010 - 01:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users