Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Wireless Adapter

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 neonick

neonick

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:54 PM

So my old USB adapter (USRobotics) died on me and I picked up a new one (Linksys). According to the network monitoring, it is a WUSB54GSC adapter. At least once a day, I have to reset my computer because the adapter stops working. No error messages, no red "X" on the network connection icon, nothing. When I try to click on a page when it has stopped working, the little icon does not light up like it's trying to load a page, and then I'll get a "Page Load" error. I am using the wireless Network monitor provided by Linksys and I'm running Windows XP Professional. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 david g pianoman

david g pianoman

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:07 PM

I use a similar device and have experienced this. It has always been sufficient for me to reset the device rather than computer restart.
I just simple unplug the device from the extension cable and plug right back in listening for the device detection sound. After a few seconds of the
device rebooting and acquiring network address the window pops up telling me im connected and im off and running again.
One thing i notice that triggers my device to lose connection is using flash drives or other usb devices.
Hope this helps !

#3 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:34 PM

I used a USB device around the time it stopped working, but not any of the other times. I tried unplugging it and putting it back in once, but the little computer icon in the task bar disappeared when I did and it never came back after I plugged it in. I'll try it again, though.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:44 PM

Try going into Device Manager. Expand the + next to Universal Serial Bus controllers. Right click on each instance of USB Root Hub. Go to Properties > Power Management tab remove the check mark from Allow the computer to turn of this device to save power.

See if that helps.

#5 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:27 PM

Ok well it happened again this morning and I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in and it worked this time. Got back online without having to reset the PC. I turned off the power save for all of the USB Root Hub instances, so hopefully it will stop. Thanks for the help!

#6 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:42 PM

Thanks for the help!

Your :thumbsup:

Sometime Windows just does`t know when to wake things up. Hope that fix`s it.

Edited by ThunderZ, 03 December 2009 - 12:43 PM.

#7 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:26 PM

It happened again. I turned off the power saving for the USB Root hubs yesterday and I still lost connection this morning. When I tried unplugging it and plugging it back in, it didn't work. The network connection icon disappeared and I never got it back. I had to restart the PC again. Any other suggestions? This thing is getting on my nerves.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 05:29 PM

Just got to thinking. Some devices have power management built into their software. If you go into Device Manager again. Then network adapters. Then the wireless device, probably labeled WUSB54GSC, Properties. There may be a power management setting in there.

#9 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:30 PM

Unfortunately there are no power management settings in there.

#10 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:41 PM

One last try. With all USB devices disconnected from the machine. One more trip into Device Manager. Expand the + next to Universal Serial Bus controllers. Then right click on each USB Root Hub. and select uninstall. Restart the PC and allow Windows to reinstall them. Redo the Power management.

Lets see what happens.

#11 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:49 PM

You can also go here to check for the latest driver version for your OS.

#12 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:02 PM

Crap, none of that worked. I did all of that earlier and I just lost connection a few minutes ago. Unplugging it didn't work, same as it didn't work last time. I searched online and found that some people say that the Wireless Network Monitor from Linksys can interfere and cause trouble with the Windows network monitor. Any chance that's causing the problem?

#13 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:10 PM

I guess it is possible. I only use Windows built in wireless manager.

#14 neonick

neonick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:11 PM

Well when I had to call linksys tech support one time for a PCI wireless adapter, they had me use the Windows Wireless Manager instead of the Linksys one. How do I go about setting it up?

#15 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 04:18 PM

Depending on the Linksys software sometimes there is an option in the Linksys program to use Windows Wireless Zero Configuration. Or the option my have been offered when the software was installed.

I have also had luck just installing the Linksys required driver. Sometimes this can be achieved by first plugging in the USB device. Then inserting the disk. Canceling out the install screen when it pops up. Go into Device Manager. There will be a device with a ? by it. Right click on it. Select update driver. It should then find the driver on the CD and install it.

Depending on how the Linksys program is written it may or may not install just the driver.

All the above of course means in your case you will need to uninstall the Linksys program first which will likely uninstall the driver as well.

A last option, though least preferred IMO, use msconfig to disable it from starting with Windows.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users