Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU Cooling Issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sixfive

sixfive

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:40 PM

I have a computer that I built last Christmas and I chose a Core 2 Duo E8500 as my processor. This passed Sunday I noticed that my computer would randomly shut down, and sometimes it wouldn't even make it to the XP login screen. I figured that it was overheating, so I sprayed everything down with compressed air and I currently have it running with the case open. I've been monitoring my CPU temperature with Speedfan and EasyTune6, and it seems to idle at around 40-50 degrees Celcius. Under light load it can get up to 70, and under heavy load it can get as high as 90. When looking at the PC Health section of my BIOS, I noticed that it starts out at around 70, then climbs gradually until it shuts down at 115. I currently do not have any thermal grease on the CPU, but I'm considering ordering some Arctic Silver 5 off of Newegg for about $8. How much of an improvement would I see with the AS5? Also, what could have caused my CPU to start heating up all of a sudden? I did downgrade to a 500W PSU after my 650W died, but that was over the summer. Could the decreased wattage be the culprit? Any help is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:37 PM

<<I currently do not have any thermal grease on the CPU,>> seems to be the answer to <<what could have caused my CPU to start heating up all of a sudden>>

Or maybe there's no answer to that one. Most would say that you have been exceptionally lucky, I believe.

Louis

#3 sixfive

sixfive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:21 PM

Thank you for your reply. I suppose I have been lucky. I haven't had any overheating issues since last December. If the lack of thermal grease is what's causing the problem then I'll just order the AS5 and apply it. I'm still kind of curious about the downgrade to a 500W PSU. Could a decrease in wattage cause an increase in heat?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:30 PM

Could a decrease in wattage cause an increase in heat?

No

The one thing I ask, when people say they used a can of air to blow the case clean, did you remove the heatsink fan?
Unless you do, chances are that the fins of the heatsink are still packed with dust and lint
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 sixfive

sixfive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:26 PM

Could a decrease in wattage cause an increase in heat?

No

The one thing I ask, when people say they used a can of air to blow the case clean, did you remove the heatsink fan?
Unless you do, chances are that the fins of the heatsink are still packed with dust and lint

I was pretty sure that I did get all of the dust and lint out, but I removed the heatsink fan just to make sure. When I looked on the bottom of the heatsink and the top of the CPU, I noticed that there was residue in a disk shape on both of them (it was thicker on the bottom of the CPU.) I didn't put any thermal grease on the CPU, but I guess there was stock grease or something that was already on the bottom of the heatsink that wore out and finally needs to be replaced. It seems to be idling at a lower temperature right now (32C), but I doubt the heating problem was temporary so I'll be applying new thermal grease anyway. Thanks for the help.

Edited by sixfive, 03 December 2009 - 01:42 PM.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:32 PM

Be sure not to use too much
Instructions:
http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:01 PM

exceptionally lucky. If you can pick out mondays loto numbers and post them tonight. We will be waiting. You have the computer gods on your side. Installing thermal grease as posted site by garmanma is very important.
Light load at 70c is way to hot. Let us know when you get done what you temps are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users