Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Number of disks is not adequate to create a RAID

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 julie35

julie35

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:09 PM

My pc won't boot up, won't start in safe mode or return to last known good configuation.

I've got into the setting and found this error message about the number of disks not being adequate to create a RAID.

Can anyone explain what's going on and how I can fix this please???

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:20 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Just a wild guess...since that message reflects on hardware configuration recognized...your CMOS battery may be winking out.

Or someone has set your BIOS up for a RAID which cannot be supported.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

Louis

#3 julie35

julie35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:28 PM

Hi Louis

It's a Maxdata Favorit, running XP home (SP3).

Nobody has been messing with settings and the PC was in use when it restarted itself and then got into this loop of trying and failing to reboot. I had updated a program a little earlier (Advanced System Care I think it's called).

I'll have a look at the link you've posted, thanks.

What does the TFTP screen look like? It gets as far as the Windows screen then turns off and reboots.
I've not had any error messages about the CMOS.

Edited by julie35, 02 December 2009 - 05:37 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:59 PM

LOL, all you never wanted to know about TFTP, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trivial_File_Transfer_Protocol.

This does not normally cause a problem in systems...the other post was the first time in 13 years that I had ever seen a reference to it.

My money is on the CMOS battery, it's inexpensive...easy to spot on a motherboard...and, generally, easy to replace. CR2032 batteries are readily available here in the U.S. anywhere that photo/electronic batteries can be obtained.

If it's not that, then we'll try something else :thumbsup:.

Ignore any advice about writing down CMOS/BIOS settings. Changing the battery will result in the default settings taking over and these are the settings which the system originally came with, designed to promote efficient/maximum booting of the system.

Louis

#5 julie35

julie35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:36 PM

Thanks, I'll try the battery and let you know how I get on :-)

#6 julie35

julie35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:23 PM

Hi,

Tried unsuccessfully to get a battery but I think the RAID thing might be a red herring cos I only have one hard drive and I've been told that RAID only applies when you have more than one.
The techy bloke in the PC shop said it sounds like it's virus related and suggested doing a repair using the repair console.... I've found the Windows CD and got to the repair console but I'm a bit lost as to what to do and I don't want to make things worse.

Any advice (apart from "take it to a shop" - because I have no spare money) would be very much appreciated.

PS. I could do with changing the thread title to "Won't boot up". Could one of the Mods/Admins help?

Edited by julie35, 03 December 2009 - 04:27 PM.

#7 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:05 PM

when you start your computer it goes through a series of tests (black background with white letters) what does it say at the end.
if there is a splash screen with computer manufacturers name you can enter the setup program (BIOS) and disable it. while you are there check the clock for time and date to see if it is right.

#8 julie35

julie35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:20 PM

The writing comes and goes so quick that I couldn't tell you what it says :-(

How do I enter the setup and what do I disable? (sorry for sounding dumb)

#9 julie35

julie35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:35 PM

The time and date are correct....hope that's a good sign? Just need to know what to disable now :-)

Edited by julie35, 03 December 2009 - 05:38 PM.

#10 julie35

julie35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:32 PM

Any more ideas about this folks?

#11 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:35 PM

hi julie, i guess you figured out how to enter BIOS, if you were able to check clock. am i right in assuming this ? when you boot you get as far as the windows boot menu where you can chose safe mode, etc. is this correct ?

#12 julie35

julie35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:43 PM

Yep, I figured that out (although I forgotten how I did it now, is it one of the F keys or "delete"?) I can get to the screen where I have the different boot options "safe mode" etc and I've tried all the options, still won't boot up. I have the original XP disc but don't know what to do at the recovery console.

#13 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:49 PM

i am reading up on Advanced System Care which may have messed things up. i want to make sure we will not make matters worse by running the recovery console. give me a few minutes.

#14 julie35

julie35
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 07:53 PM

OK, thanks very much caperdog, I really appreciate this :-)

#15 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:18 PM

ok we can try the fixboot command in recovery console. boot from the xp cd and follow the prompts to enter the recovery console.
if you suspect a virus it may not be safe to run the fixmbr command.
reading : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users