Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't remove Personal Protector virus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 forgerelli

forgerelli

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:00 PM

Hi,

I'm new to posting here but I've used the site several times. I'm trying to help a relative remove the Personal Protector malware/virus from her computer. I had already installed spybot search and destroy and I tried 6 times to install Malwarebytes for her. They both keep failing to work. Spybot will go through about 1/4 of the known spyware's then stops and Malwarebytes will not complete installation. Personal Protector is not allowing the .exe part of Malwarebytes to install.

I've removed 3 other virus's just like Personal Protector (3 other fake anti spyware programs) from 3 different computers and I've never had this happen before. If I could just get Malwarebytes to install on the infected computer I think it might solve the problem.

I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks so much,

Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:25 PM

Hello Let's run this first then Malware bytes and post a log.
The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.

RKill....

Please download Rkill by Grinler and save it to your desktop.Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
  • Double-click on the Rkill desktop icon to run the tool.
  • If using Vista, right-click on it and Run As Administrator.
  • A black DOS box will briefly flash and then disappear. This is normal and indicates the tool ran successfully.
  • If not, delete the file, then download and use the one provided in Link 2.
  • If it does not work, repeat the process and attempt to use one of the remaining links until the tool runs.
  • If the tool does not run from any of the links provided, please let me know.
You will need to run the application again if rebooting the computer occurs along the way.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Foox

Foox

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:35 PM

I am unable to remove personal protector, everytime i seem to get rid of it its simply re-installs itself, I've used Malwarebytes, ad-aware and even Microsoft's malicious software removal tool but the virus is still on the computer. I also believe its blocking my internet so i am unable to use the internet on that computer.

#4 LKH56

LKH56

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 05:26 AM

help i also getting the same problems the entire window trun blue, all program can not be open(even the ctrl +alt+delete), but the internet can still be use only i already download the anti virus program but it can not be starts and ever time i try it just shut down, the Personal protection also can not be close and delete

#5 MaqAttaq

MaqAttaq

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:07 AM

I just ran into the same issue this morning. Despite running Combofix, I had it reinstall itself after restart.

I was able to get into safe mode on the PC that was infected, ran Autoruns (from Sysinternals), and found (after hiding all Microsoft and Windows entries) a strange entry...

In HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellServiceObjectDelayLoad...

Internet Provider - c:\documents and settings\all users\microsoft pdata\inetprovider.dll

I disabled it, and to be safe, put the entire directory in the recycle bin. Once I removed the infections that Combofix previously removed (again), I rebooted, and the reinstallation did not occur.

I then ran a scan on the directory with AVG, and found that one of the other files, sysinspect.exe, is flagged as a Worm/Generic.AOZW. But, removing that directory solved the problem.

Edited by MaqAttaq, 09 December 2009 - 11:11 AM.

#6 LKH56

LKH56

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2009 - 11:05 AM

ok i have no idea what maqattaq is talking about(i am NOOB in this sort of thing) but i did download every program that this web offer ALL CAN NOT be use or even open Rkill did shut the virus down for a few second after that it rerun itself again, i try msconf and unclick every box but after restarts the com the box will be click back auto, but this will slow down the virus for 1-2sec if not the virus will be run as soon as window is starts.

ok updata

all program that can be use in a few second only was able to use like rkill , after i use rkill i manage to have a extra few more second and i manage use exehelper (and it can run finish) it did delete the virus but after a few second later the virus reapper again i must say that ALL PROGRAM that use more then a few second to run WILL GET SHUT DOWN and it mean ALL,everytime i open sometime the virus potup at the bottem right corner say the file is infest with thisvirus and can not be open pls get antivirus something like this

exeHelper by Raktor
Build 20091204
Run at 11:09:30 on 12/11/09
Now searching...
Checking for numerical processes...
Checking for sysguard processes...
Checking for bad processes...
Killed process personalprotector.exe
Checking for bad files...
Deleting file C:\Program Files\Personal Protector\personalprotector.exe
Checking for bad registry entries...
Removing HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\personalprotector
Resetting filetype association for .exe
Resetting filetype association for .com
Resetting userinit and shell values...
Resetting policies...
--Finished--

exeHelper by Raktor
Build 20091204
Run at 11:10:08 on 12/11/09
Now searching...
exeHelper by Raktor
Build 20091204
Run at 11:10:24 on 12/11/09
Now searching...
exeHelper by Raktor
Build 20091204
Run at 11:10:39 on 12/11/09
Now searching...
exeHelper by Raktor
Build 20091204
Run at 11:10:54 on 12/11/09
Now searching...
Resetting policies...
--Finished--

exeHelper by Raktor
Build 20091204
Run at 11:11:39 on 12/11/09
Now searching...
exeHelper by Raktor
Build 20091204
Run at 11:11:54 on 12/11/09
Now searching...
Resetting policies...
--Finished--

Edited by LKH56, 11 December 2009 - 02:00 AM.

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:35 AM

Some rootkits can terminate your security tools by changing the permissions on targeted programs so that they cannot run or complete scans. Further investigation is required to determine if this is the case with the issues you have described.

Please download Win32kDiag.exe by AD and save it to your desktop.
alternate download 1
alternate download 2
  • This tool will create a diagnostic report for me to review.
  • Double-click on Win32kDiag.exe to run and let it finish.
  • When it states Finished! Press any key to exit..., press any key on your keyboard to close the program.
  • A file called Win32kDiag.txt should be created on your Desktop.
  • Open that file in Notepad, then copy and paste the entire contents starting with Running from... to Finished!) in your next reply.
Then go to Posted Image > Run..., and copy and paste this command into the open box: cmd
press OK.
At the command prompt C:\>, copy and paste the following command and press Enter:
DIR /a/s %windir%\scecli.dll %windir%\netlogon.dll %windir%\eventlog.dll >Log.txt & START notepad Log.txt
A file called log.txt should be created on your Desktop and open in Notepad.
Copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

-- Vista users can refer to these instructions to open a command prompt.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 LKH56

LKH56

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2009 - 10:53 AM

Running from: C:\z.exe

Log file at : C:\Documents and Settings\user\Desktop\Win32kDiag.txt

WARNING: Could not get backup privileges!

Searching 'C:\WINDOWS'...

Finished!

second one

Volume in drive C is h
Volume Serial Number is BD9D-E600

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32

04/08/2004 07:56 180,224 scecli.dll

04/08/2004 07:56 407,040 netlogon.dll

04/08/2004 07:56 55,808 eventlog.dll
3 File(s) 643,072 bytes

Directory of C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache

04/08/2004 07:56 180,224 scecli.dll

04/08/2004 07:56 407,040 netlogon.dll

04/08/2004 07:56 55,808 eventlog.dll
3 File(s) 643,072 bytes

Total Files Listed:
6 File(s) 1,286,144 bytes
0 Dir(s) 11,499,458,560 bytes free

btw i change the name of the program form Win32diag to z so can be use more faster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users