Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rundll32.exe application not found

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DigitalMaxz

DigitalMaxz

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:09 PM

Hi guys,

I've always been able to fix my own problems.. but this time I actually had to sign up for other advice..

Currently running Windows XP SP3

The irony was: I updated AVG 8.5 to AVG 9. (Computer was running fine with no viruses)

After AVG 9 was installed, computer automatically restarted, and when it restarted, my startup programs wouldn't load. It was weird so i tried to manually start them up and everytime i click on an .exe (like MSN msnger), it opens up the avgui.exe screen. I couldn't even "add and remove programs" to do an uninstall of AVG 9, it'd direct me to avgui.exe and opening the user interface every single time..

So I restarted in safe mode, AVG's dll still hooked onto the startup process, I couldn't terminate AVG.

Then I restarted in safe mode with command prompt. Did a "cd program files/avg9" and successfully del all the files in AVG.

Yay no more AVG! But.. now instead of the avgui.exe popping up, a "Please choose a program to open with" dialog box pops up everytime i start an exe. And when i try to open control panel items such as add and remove programs and computer properties, it comes up with "C:\Windows\System32\rundll.exe" application not found.

Funny thing is, iexplorer.exe works only from the desktop, not from the taskbar.. hence i'm on it right now. I do not believe I have a virus, just some registry files messed up by AVG. I can't run any .exe files normally (usually you just double click), I have to run them "as Username" and enter my password, when im already logged onto the same user..

I tried running ComboFix. It lets me if i run as "my username", but when combofix attempts to open iexplorer.exe, it pops up with the "Please choose a program to open with" dialog box..

All this happened during exam week in my senior year of university. Yay.

After all's been said, do you think it'd work if I somehow create a new user account? I can't do it using control panel because Rundll32.exe application not found.. so is there a way to create a new user via registry?

Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DigitalMaxz

DigitalMaxz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:04 PM

great news,

fixed it using regedit and a registry cleaner, then it turned into just a missing file association type for .exe. Then all i had to do was go to registry and reassociate the EXE file with %1.. i think i could've done the easy way and click "restore"..

it upsets me to see so many people that had the exact same problem as me (not necessarily AVG, but with kapersky, and others, etc) and ended up going through the whole backing up and reformatting everything....

Anyway,

Question is...... should i reinstall AVG 9.0?! I've been using AVG for the past 4-5 years with no issues.. i have no idea how it messed up the last time

Edited by DigitalMaxz, 02 December 2009 - 03:23 PM.

#3 jonnie21

jonnie21

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:31 PM

It upsets me even more when you're spending this much time fixing your computer and not studying for your exams! anyway i find this thread extremely helpful thanks a lot digitalmaxzorz..... and also i don't thiink you should reinstall AVG 9.0 because......it might happen again!

#4 garybeafl

garybeafl

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:20 PM

You could try using Avast instead of AVG. I have been using Avast for about a year with no problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users