Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2003 Keeps Changing POP/SMTP Settings

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mfc90125

mfc90125

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:43 PM

Greetings:

Over the past several weeks, I have noticed that Outlook 2003 is changing my AT&T mail settings for both POP and STMP. In fact, it seems to be reverting to a previous version of my email settings.

I have had to manually configure the account several time over the past month, and am concerned that I have to keep doing this. I am using the AT&T Support Tool, and my OS is Windows XP with SP3.

Also, does anyone know how to export all of the emails and folders in my Outlook before I re-image my machine? I want the folders and all the emails I have received and sent, as well as my calendar items.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jeff Campbell

Jeff Campbell

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:48 PM

i would try redoing your profile. in the control panel go to mail. in there you will find your profiles and your data files.

close outlook.
go in the data files section and locate on your harddrive where the .pst files are. make a copy of all of your .pst files.
then go to the profiles section in mail(control panel) and delete and recreate your profile.
open outlook and then close it so it creates a new pst file.
go where the new pst file is and paste your old pst file over it.
start outlook, you should have all your same email, folders, contact, calendar, etc
then add your email account and you should be golden

be careful not to screw you pst files up, back it up to a usb drive before you go deleting stuff.

#3 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:42 PM

Read this link to get an overview of where the files are located and which files do what. Then back up your PST and any archived files to flash, external drive or cd.
http://www.freeemailtutorials.com/microsof...stDataFiles.cwd

Creating a new profile is often a good way to fix odd stuff.

Are you talking about the at&t self support tool? That is supposed to "correct" your email settings... hmmm.

Does email work after you run it? or is that when they change back to older settings. Do you have the latest version of the support tool?

#4 mfc90125

mfc90125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:16 PM

Ken, thanks for this link - also thanks Jeff for your help!

The Support Tool fixes the problem and allows me to send/receive messages. Within a day or so, the settings revert to the ones I described. FYI: THE AT&T support people told me to stop using the the tool and configure it manually. They did not tell me to delete the profile, but I'm guessing those Level One people know little about this process. I will definitely check this link out - hopefully it will cover how to extract archived pst files.

#5 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:29 AM

If you mean by "extract" to decode the pst file and manually convert the data into human readable format (eml, dbx,vcf), there are programs that do that but they vary as to which version of Microsofts ever changing email formats they work with. At this time, I don't see any that are free for the current 200x pst file format.

However any .PST file that is not corrupted or too big (2g+) can usually be opened in outlook 200x on the same computer both program and file are on.

#6 Jeff Campbell

Jeff Campbell

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:56 AM

Ken, thanks for this link - also thanks Jeff for your help!

The Support Tool fixes the problem and allows me to send/receive messages. Within a day or so, the settings revert to the ones I described. FYI: THE AT&T support people told me to stop using the the tool and configure it manually. They did not tell me to delete the profile, but I'm guessing those Level One people know little about this process. I will definitely check this link out - hopefully it will cover how to extract archived pst files.

in that case dont use the support tool and just set your account settings right. no need to delete the profile unless you cant get the manual settings to work, and in that case i would first try deleting the email account and re-doing it. the last step would be to start with a new profile. also you may want to check with your provider on every setting that is needed, one wrong checkbox or setting will make the whole thing not work. probably the problem in the first place.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:45 AM

Hello,

I'm moving this topic from the XP forum to the Web Browsing/Email and Other Internet Applications where you might get some additional assistance from folks who focus on these things.

~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users