Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Javascript/Flash Player Won't Work

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 specialkman

specialkman

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:36 PM

Last month, I got a pretty nasty virus on my computer. I've spent the last few weeks working with someone in the virus portion of the forums and they managed to clean up my computer. However, java and/or javascript, along with flash player still won't work. So, i'm unable to do several things (go to Twitter, look at google maps, watch videos online, etc).

Here's a link to the that topic...I've tried several fixes, but none of them have worked. And since it seems like a program issue now and not a virus issue, I've been directed here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/267809/rootkit-infection-cannot-boot-computer/

Just for your information, I'm running Windows XP and I do not have the Windows disk that came with the computer.

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jeff Campbell

Jeff Campbell

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:43 PM

what browser are you using? IE? if so stop now and download firefox.

#3 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:46 PM

I would say try uninstalling all Java platforms from the Add/Remove Programs listing in the Control Panel, and then manually reinstall Java from Java's website: http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp.

Firefox is another option, but that would just be skirting the original problem, and the corrupted Java settings may actually transfer over to the new browser.

Edited by Eric ~ Computer Guy, 02 December 2009 - 01:47 PM.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:11 PM

You need to uninstall the old version of Flash by using the uninstall tool at this link and then install the latest version of Flash.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html

#5 specialkman

specialkman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 03:51 AM

thanks for all the suggestions.

just to clarify, i am using IE.

I uninstalled java, then ran the program and uninstalled flash.

i then re-downloaded java. i tried to re-install flash, but when i click on the download button, nothing happens. and it doesnt look like the new version of java solved anything either.

so after trying both of those ideas, i'm still back at square one (although, i now don't have adobe flash since i uninstalled it and can't download it).

any other ideas?

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:27 AM

Forget about Java. Java and Javascript are different. If you were unable to install Flash, it means it wasn't uninstalled properly. You should try it again.

#7 Jeff Campbell

Jeff Campbell

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:02 PM

there is a tool on flash's website for fixing that issue tho it never worked in my case, but i would just try firefox. ive had this problem before and i believe i was able to fix it with IE8. if you cant get it to work on firefox then theres a more serious issue.

#8 specialkman

specialkman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 04:27 AM

I can't get flash to work, but I uninstalled it correctly, using the program that was posted on here.

I know Java and Javascript are different, but I dont think either is working.

I don't know if upgrading to IE8 will fix it (I'm using IE7). I've used 8 before and I'm not a big fan, so i'd like to keep 7 if possible.

I've looked through the flash website and have done searches for javascript problems. I've tried some of the fixes and nothing has worked. I have no idea why this has happened, but as you can imagine, not being able to watch videos, look at google maps, etc, is very annoying.

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 06:11 AM

The problem you are having is a very common problem with Flash when you don't have the latest version. It's also very common for the uninstallation of your old version of Flash to not uninstall properly the first time. And if it doesn't uninstall properly, you won't be able to install the new version. So though you think you uninstalled it, it didn't uninstall properly. You need to run the uninstall tool agtain.

#10 djnbleepkylie

djnbleepkylie

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 12:07 PM

You queried upgrade to IE8. Flash does not work on IE8 for me, but works fine on Firefox.

2 things about the "perhaps didn't uninstall" above:-
1. I used their uninstall several times, including uninstall, reboot, uninstall, reboot and uninstall/clean.
They have no effect.

2. There seems to be some sort of acceptance that it doesn't install cleanly, and doesn't even uninstall cleanly.
It doesn't tell you that it failed. A completely scruffy bit of work.
Why don't they clean it up so it simply works?

I have just reinstalled the IE version around 8 times today to achieve the different levels of clean, its not the registry and its not the activex settings or Java script, and it still doesn't work.

It shouldn't be that hard.

But don't go to IE8 just for this, it won't help. You only need to go there if you want IE8.

#11 specialkman

specialkman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 04:06 AM

so uninstalling and reinstalling doesnt work...upgrading to ie8 doesn't work...and nothing else seems to work.

how is it that this worked fine a couple weeks ago, then all the sudden it doesnt? why would a virus mess up these programs? and how is there no way to get them back to normal?

i feel like there should be some sort of easy fix, especially if this is a fairly common problem.

#12 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:50 AM

The virus obviously affected this. And sometimes things won't work even if the virus is gone. But the other problem is Adobe doesn't tell you if Flash uninstalled properly. And if it doesn't uninstall properly, you won't be able to install the new version. I have IE8 and have no problem with Flash. So I don't think Flash uninstalled properly. And that's the only fix I know for this.

#13 specialkman

specialkman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:29 PM

ok, well i tried the uninstall option that was posted earlier. and i actually uninstalled it a couple times. then i reinstalled, and that didnt fix it.

so if that uninstall program doesn't work, is there one that does???

#14 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:04 PM

Nope. It's Adobe's tool and it's the only thing that will work.

#15 specialkman

specialkman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:13 PM

so........

what do i do? are you saying im stuck? or do i just keep uninstalling until i'm tired of clicking the mouse?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users