Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatted Harddrive after XP reinstall

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 remo09

remo09

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:47 AM

hi,
I recently re-installed XP pro 2002 with service pack 3
I am using a AMD Athlon 64 processor 3500+, 2.2GHZ, 448 MB of RAM

I formatted my c drive where I put the XP .

I now have new items in my device manager ..(see pic)

I have 3 hard drives. c, d, and e

I had 3 USBs connected when I did the re-install one goes to my printer, one to a scanner and one to the remote for the mouse.

I have 2 DVD rw that show up as CD roms. whenever I place a DVD in them they change from DVD RW to to CD rom. sometimes this will
cause a shutdown when I try to burn a DVD, but not always. I notice that autorun will change to ...what do you want to do with this CD when I put a blank DVD in the DVD drives.
the DVD RWs will read and play DVDs and the autorun will ask what I want to do with the DVDs.

1) ....should I / can I delete the new invisible hard drives in the device manager? they show up as unknow partitions and are 100% un-used.

2).... what can I do about the DVD RW issue?

thanks for any help you can offer.

R.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:18 PM

<<I have 3 hard drives. c, d, and e>>

Nooooo...you have two hard drives (a 160GB and a 40GB) and 5 partitions reflected :thumbsup:. Of the 5 partitions, 2 cannot be read by Windows.

<<...should I / can I delete the new invisible hard drives in the device manager? they show up as unknow partitions and are 100% un-used.>>

Depends...do you know where they came from? System manufacturer and model?

In time, we will delete them...but let's try to understand what they might be and how they got there first.

What did you use as the method for installing XP Pro? Microsoft CD? Restore/recovery disks? Restore partition?

<<I have 2 DVD rw that show up as CD roms. whenever I place a DVD in them they change from DVD RW to to CD rom. sometimes this will
cause a shutdown when I try to burn a DVD, but not always. I notice that autorun will change to ...what do you want to do with this CD when I put a blank DVD in the DVD drives...the DVD RWs will read and play DVDs and the autorun will ask what I want to do with the DVDs.>>

Try uninstalling both optical drives in Device Manager...then rebooting XP. I would ensure that no USB drives are powered on, just in case that's confusing to the system.

If no joy, then we try Upper and Lower Filters. CD-ROM 314060 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060.

Even though this is a common fix, you need to take precautions anytime that you anticipate making a registry edit, no matter how well detailed. An excellent tool for backing up your registry is ERUNT Registry Backup Tool - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html. Be sure to download, install, and use before following the directions in the link from Microsoft.

Louis

FWIW: Disabling Autoruns is now considered a security measure of significance, http://www.wikihow.com/Disable-CD-and-DVD-...n-in-Windows-XP.

#3 remo09

remo09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:17 PM

<<I have 3 hard drives. c, d, and e>>

Nooooo...you have two hard drives (a 160GB and a 40GB) and 5 partitions reflected :thumbsup:. Of the 5 partitions, 2 cannot be read by Windows.

I installed after wiping everything off the C drive (14 gig) and used a store bought copy of XP Pro version 2002. with service pack 3...YES I have 3 harddrives that are working right now. same as I have always had....I have a C drive where the XP is... I have the E ( 89 gigs) drive which is listed on the photo and the device manager next to the C and the 2 reflected drives as you call them which are the ones that showed up out of nowhere after the re-install. and I have the D drive (37 gigs). I know I have these as I put them in the tower when I built it and I have been using them before and after the re-install. the Drives that show up without letters assigned to them are the ones I want to delete. Physically they do not exist. the device manager says they are healthy but unknown partition and 100% clean.

<<...should I / can I delete the new invisible hard drives in the device manager? they show up as unknown partitions and are 100% un-used.>>

Depends...do you know where they came from? System manufacturer and model?

I just want to get rid of the false ones. that do not exist.

In time, we will delete them...but let's try to understand what they might be and how they got there first.

What did you use as the method for installing XP Pro? Microsoft CD? Restore/recovery disks? Restore partition?

brand new clean install off the store bought copy of XP Pro..to my C drive..I only use the C drive for Windows and a couple of other programs. I use the D drive for all other programs and the E drive for making videos. they are still working fine...

<<I have 2 DVD rw that show up as CD roms. whenever I place a DVD in them they change from DVD RW to to CD rom. sometimes this will
cause a shutdown when I try to burn a DVD, but not always. I notice that autorun will change to ...what do you want to do with this CD when I put a blank DVD in the DVD drives...the DVD RWs will read and play DVDs and the autorun will ask what I want to do with the DVDs.>>

Try uninstalling both optical drives in Device Manager...then rebooting XP. I would ensure that no USB drives are powered on, just in case that's confusing to the system.
I have not tried that yet. thanks for the advice I will try it.

If no joy, then we try Upper and Lower Filters. CD-ROM 314060 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060.

I did try this after reading it earlier looking for a fix and before posting here. It didn't change anything. and all I had was the low filter. no hight filter was there.

Even though this is a common fix, you need to take precautions anytime that you anticipate making a registry edit, no matter how well detailed. An excellent tool for backing up your registry is ERUNT Registry Backup Tool - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html. Be sure to download, install, and use before following the directions in the link from Microsoft.

Louis

FWIW: Disabling Autoruns is now considered a security measure of significance, http://www.wikihow.com/Disable-CD-and-DVD-...n-in-Windows-XP.

OK, I will check this out.

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 AM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:59 PM

On the third hand... You system is all setup to install linux as a dual boot...

BTW is this an oem system that came with something other than xp on it? Just curious.

#5 remo09

remo09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:43 PM

On the third hand... You system is all setup to install linux as a dual boot...

BTW is this an oem system that came with something other than xp on it? Just curious.

no this machine has always had XP on it.

I have a GeForce 6100 M9 motherboard that is pretty much self contained, has sound and video built in.

I used to have a different XP disc, but replaced it with a new one right out of the microsoft envelope.

I had it on this machine working fine until I got a Virus a couple of weeks ago and decided to wipe it clean and start fresh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users