Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for best type of hard drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kobaltic

kobaltic

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:03 AM

Long story short. I have 4 40 gig IDE hard drives (used to be raid 0), 4 80 gig IDE hard drives (used to be Raid 0), 4 80 gig sata hard drives (used to be raid 0) 300 gig USB2 external drive, 200 gig USB2 external hard drive, 4 gig flash drive. Except for the flash drive all the hard drives have failed. All of them except the IDEs are less then 5 years old. The IDEs are about 8 years old. I have been able to format and wipe to get them all to work again but they all fail again. I am tired of loosing all my info and backing it up on another drive and having that fail too. I have moved several times so i don't think it is the location of the computer.

I am looking to get a new hard drive. I would prefer a raid setup for speed but I don't have enough money for 4 more drives so i am looking at the next best solution. I want the best speed but I also want the best reliability. Are solid state drives more reliable then regular hard drives? Are flash drives fast enough to match sata II speeds? Any help would be great.

EDIT: Moved to more appropriate forum

Edited by garmanma, 02 December 2009 - 11:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:49 AM

Some info on SSD drives

Advantages
Faster start-up because no spin-up is required.
Fast random access because there is no read/write head[23]
Low read latency times for RAM drives.[24] In applications where hard disk seeks are the limiting factor, this results in faster boot and application launch times (see Amdahl's law).[25]
Consistent read performance because physical location of data is irrelevant for SSDs.[26]
File fragmentation has negligible effect.
Silent operation due to the lack of moving parts.
Low capacity flash SSDs have a low power consumption and generate little heat when in use.
High mechanical reliability, as the lack of moving parts almost eliminates the risk of "mechanical" failure.
Ability to endure extreme shock, high altitude, vibration and extremes of temperature.[27][28] This makes SSDs useful for laptops, mobile computers, and devices that operate in extreme conditions (flash).[25]
For low-capacity SSDs, lower weight and size: although size and weight per unit storage are still better for traditional hard drives, and microdrives allow up to 20 GB storage in a CompactFlash form-factor. As of 2008 SSDs up to 256 GB are lighter than hard drives of the same capacity.[27]
Failures occur less frequently whilst writing/erasing data, which means there is a lower chance of irrecoverable data damage

Its up too you, Have you tried either a Raid 5 or a Raid 1 + 0 array?

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 02 December 2009 - 11:54 AM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 kobaltic

kobaltic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:34 PM

I am not sure if my system supports raid 5. I will consider raid 1+0. Do you know if SSD are less susceptible to magnets? My sub woofer is not shielded but I think it is far enough away.

#4 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:19 PM

My sub woofer is not shielded but I think it is far enough away.

Well that might be why your hard drives keep failing.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:02 PM

The average warranty period for a hard drive 3-5 years, with me betting on 3.

Realistically...the way drives have been changing over the last 10 years...I think it unwise to tie yourself to anything in particular. But older drives are not to be expected to run forever.

Right now, I think SATA drives have to be the logical choice...solid-state drives will be in the future and consumers will buy them when the prices come down while capacities go up (just as has happened with PATA/SATA hard drives).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users