Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

streaming video

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JohnFarris

JohnFarris

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:47 AM

Apparently I know even less about this than I thought I did. If I can watch a TV show on my computer screen, how can I record it - either as data to burn to a disc or on an adjacent VHS machine. I can get the audio out the speaker jacks, but how about the video. Can I get it (or both video and audio) through a USB jack? What minimal software might I need.? I don't plan to do this on a large scale, but I missed something with my TiVo andI'd like to watch something that will available for only a few more days. Would appreciate any help and advice -- also about downloading movies. What should I read?

Thanks,

John Farris
Gainesville VA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:13 PM

Chances are pretty good that the kind of stuff you're looking to record is protected by Digital Rights Management (DRM) meaning it's not recordable. There are programs that claim to record DRM protected videos but none of them work. I am assuming you're talking about something like Hulu as opposed to Youtube.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:05 AM

DRM is a non-issue when it comes to recording what is already playing on your compter. If you can see and hear it, an application such as Camtasia Studio will record it all with no special HW required. Record it directly to your main drive however and not an external. You can always move it there later if you so choose. I currently use .ver 4 but the latest is .ver 6. Neither was ever offered as freeware. .Ver 2 is still available as freeware here but not compatable with windows past XP. There are many other such apps that will do the same thing.

Edited by HitSquad, 03 December 2009 - 08:07 AM.

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:57 AM

Did you read the header? What you're talking about isn't what he wants to do. For example, NBC now streams all their shows on Hulu. Hulu is DRM protected and is not downloadable.

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,526 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:37 PM

-- also about downloading movies. What should I read?

May I suggest: Copyrights And You, (Or: how not to get sued) to start with. Then if you still wish to pursue that course.
From; BleepingComputer.com Message Board Rules

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:24 AM

Did you read the header?

Yes I did. Did you?

What you're talking about isn't what he wants to do.

In the header, that's exactly what he wants to do.

Recording and downloading are two completely different things. :thumbsup:
The program I suggested will work and is completely legit.
What the user chooses to do with it, i agree, is another matter.
However, to simply state that nothing will work is a false statement.
Anything that can be seen or heard on your computer can be recorded.

Edited by HitSquad, 04 December 2009 - 08:32 AM.

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:24 PM

That's because he says record but means download. Sure he could record the audio track but he wants to save streaming video for later viewing. That's a download. And the kind of video he wants to download is DRM protected.

#8 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 09:17 AM

Sure he could record the audio track but he wants to save streaming video for later viewing. That's a download.

Frank you're thinking of recording as audio only. This program records audio and video at the same time as it is being played on your system and will save the whole thing as a single file in various formats. (i.e. .avi, etc) It's not a "download". It's a "capture" (big difference). :thumbsup:

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:09 PM

It doesn't matter. The average user isn't going to spend 300 bucks for casual viewing that they want to do for free. I assume that he is looking to save Hulu videos for free to watch them later at his convenience. That's what the average user wants to do. So the correct answer for the average user is there is no way to record or download or record DRM protected videos for free.

#10 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:13 AM

So the correct answer for the average user is there is no way to record or download or record DRM protected videos for free.

Wrong.
I left him a link to a free product.
In any case, this is rediculous.
It seems more important to you to be argumentative then to offer real help.
Keep in mind that others may also be looking for a similar product as well.
I give up on this thread. Later.

#11 JohnFarris

JohnFarris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2009 - 09:26 AM

I thank everyone for weighing in. The crisis having passed (I watched the Masterpiece Contemporary episode I had somehow missed or deleted from my TiVo on my computer screen the last day it was available on the PBS site), we can all relax. I downloaded the free product, it did not appear to work exactly as I though it should (I could capture only about 2 minutes at a time), and I'm still reading the 30 pages of instructions that I think correspond to the product. Thanks to all,

John Farris
Gainesville VA

#12 dsoue

dsoue

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:55 AM

try snagit. maybe it can help you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users