Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Icons

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PW12

PW12

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:28 AM

For a while I had problems with a virus that had infected several of my files. I ended up buying Avast, which found the virus and deleted the files. Unfortunately, this messed up my computer and it had to be taken in to get repaired. They ended up repairing the computer by replacing the corrupted files, and it seemed to be okay. However, this morning I logged on and found that the user icons had been reset, and most of my icons deleted (some games, some other useless items) and many of the things on the start up menu.

One example is for the Sims 2, which was working fine last night. I click on the shortcut, but it says it can't find anything and it isn't on the start up menu lists. However, the computer still recognises it and several other missing items as being installed on the computer. I also tried to do a system restore, however that was missing though I did manage to open it through the command prompts, but it had been turned off and so there aren't any earlier dates I can set it to. I also don't think I can get into Safe Mode.

So, anyone know what's wrong, or what I should do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:25 AM

Go to the program you want to use/play by navigating through my computer, c:\program files\whatever the application name might be.

if it is Sims2 go to the sims2 directory. Look for sims2 orsomething similar .exe

If you don't see extensions read this:
http://support.mfm.com/support/std_procedu...extensions.html

If you can click on the sims2.exe file and the program starts and runs normally, then you can create a shortcut several different ways.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310417

Some programs will just need to be reinstalled.

#3 PW12

PW12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:32 AM

Thanks, however I'm thinking that the problem may stem from Avast's latest update, as it has corrupted many people's computers, in which case I wouldn't really know what to do.

#4 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:13 AM

SO. This means you are unwilling to try the simple experiment?

If you believe it is corrupted, there is not going to be a magical fix for it.

Do you need help preparing for a backup and reinstall?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users