Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I am unable to Boot-Up completly to IE8 in normal mode.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hottamales

Hottamales

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:16 AM

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 Windows XP Home Edition, Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 (Build 2600).

This is due to LOST and Corrupted registry by malware, adware, trojans, worms, browser hijackers. traffice advance dialers and multiple SVC Host (generic host process for Win32 Services). Also, by me trying to fix my computer by quarantining and deleting everything. I tried to restore from the quarantine folder located c:/ quarantine/1394bus.sys, but unfortunetly it was a no go. Yes, I am a newbie and you should have lots of laughs with this post, but we all have to start somewhere. :thumbsup:

1. Spybot S&D - Did a scan and some corrections. The Paul Collins "Start-Up" List showed malware, adware, trojans, worms, browser hijackers. traffice advanced dialers, , multiple generic SVC Host (generic host process for Win32 Services).

* Browser(s) have been Hijacked.

* I found "unknown applications" everywhere.

* Add-Ons, Extensions and programs of unknown orign.

* script errors - (See below for details)

* Also, my Firewall Settings keep changing to Off.

* My computer is VERY SLOW.

ERROR(s):

Runtime Error: R6025 - Pure virtual function call - Program: c/programfiles/real/realplayer/realplay.exe

IE Script Error: Dell Media (PCM2.exe)

Line: 10
Char: 1
Error: Syntax Error
Code: 0
URL: http://www.gocyberlink.com/prog/docs-redir...x/js/PCM_SDK.js

2. Installed the trial version from F-Secure Internet Security 2010 and nothing found, plus it removed my Avira Antivirus.

3. I did a scan with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware (Version 1.41.) and it found nothing.

****I did some research and found out that maybe my Security Software was being overtaken. So, I deleted the old MBAM and went to their site and downloaded a fresh one. This is when I knew I was in trouble, because I received the EXACT same MBAM with all my old information. I tried to update and that was a NO GO and I keep getting the same error when I try.

**MBAM - Error Code: 732 (0,0)

4. I did some deleting and quarantining with no bad effects.

5. Disk Clean-up and defraqment. What do you know, everything was back on my computer after reboot.

6. Did more deleting and I quarantined most or all the c:/windows/system32, serverpack cache files i386 and lots of other stuff/places. Not sure why I went this far..bad day I guess. ***To make matters worse, when I tried to delete these unknown applications or (look a like) legimate applications w/extensions, another copy would replicate itself 2or 3 times back into the c:/windows folder, (eg. 16-Bit Client Thunking Server and a 32-Bit Client Thunking Server. The name was Twain Source Manager (Image Acquisition) "application". When it appeared into the quarantine folder it turned into a MSDOS Program. **Also something called "InstallerVise" (MindVision Software - unvise 32 qt),

The next day, when I restarted my computer this is when I found out that I could NOT reboot back-up in normal mode completly.

**I did a Boot Log and saved it to C:/windows, so you can have a better understanding. I'm sure I did some damage and this is when you will probably LAUGH :flowers: It's okay, my pleasure.

I guess that's it for now. I know I was only supposed to do one post w/one problem, but all of this runs together to me..SORRY.

I hope I gave details and information as needed.

THANKS, and hope to hear from someone soon.

Hottamales

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 10:10 AM

We don't laugh at users who try...we are all users and we all sometimes run into things which we have not encountered before...thus we try what makes sense to us :thumbsup:.

Since it seems that you have made various unknown changes to system files...IMO, the best thing would be to do a repair install of XP. But, since you have a Dell, I don't know if you are capable of doing that.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...toggle=&dl=

My suggestion would be to find someone who has a Microsoft Genuine XP CD (preferably slipstreamed to include SP3)...borrow same or ask them to make you a copy....then use that with your license...and do a repair install.

FWIW: I guess that I fail to see the value of removing items from quarantine when they are known/declared to be malware items or damaged by such.

Louis

#3 Hottamales

Hottamales
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:00 PM

Louis,

Should I use the Tutorial: Slipstreaming Windows XP to create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD? It would be an experience! :thumbsup:

Hottamales

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:25 PM

The tutorial is there for users to easily accomplish slipstreaming/updating of their original XP CDs...answer is...yes :thumbsup:.

I would use it (if I needed to have my XP CD match my system SP3 level).

IMO, anyone who is still clinging to SP2 and hoping that provides adequate system protection...probably needs to point the finger at self when the system becomes infected, in spite of the fact that they believe they are doing all they can to shore up system defenses.

I might as well note...I believe that some users might also want to include IE8 as part of their package, since SP3 only goes back to IE7. No point in creating a slipstreamed CD that features IE7 if you already have IE8 on your system.

Louis

#5 Hottamales

Hottamales
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:23 PM

Louis,

What do I do with the remaining corrupted SP3 on my OS? Would'nt this cause problems when I slipstream the SP3? Should I uninstall the remaining SP3 that exists first?

Thanks

#6 Hottamales

Hottamales
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:39 PM

Louis,

I'm sorry, I did not see your reply, because I did not scroll down far enough. I do have IE8, but I cannot boot up normal to IE8 via Windows, but I can go in and use the Task Manager use the short cut on my desktop. So, does this mean that I have all my parts and pieces for IE8, because I can perform this task?

I'm trying to grasp the whole concept of all of this, but I have my moments. Also, my IE8 was HiJacked before, so I am not sure why this shortcut is working now?? Unless, I fixed it and did'nt realize it. So, should I perform a HiJack Browser fix it 1st?

Thanks

#7 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:43 PM

Just jumping in here:

If you are afraid your current installation is too corrupted to use the slipstream option, you could merely run a full system recovery, after backing up all pertinent data, and re-download the SP3 file manually from Microsoft: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en.

This way you can guarantee that no corruptions or bad settings make their way into your repaired installation. Of course, a full restore, or recovery, will result in you needing to reinstall all of your applications and backing up all of your important data BEFORE you run the recovery. You would also need to redownload and install IE8: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-...wide-sites.aspx. It is a bit of a pain to back up and reinstall everything, but it is the most guaranteed way to fix all of your issues, whereas a repair install isn't 100% guaranteed to work every time.

#8 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:20 PM

Hold on there guys :thumbsup:

Reading the OP (original post) I could see enough oddities and downright defective chit to advise the user to reinstall after copying his user directory to a flash or external drive.

This is a Dell. OEM's like dell use install disks that are keyed to a particular Dell bios. Unless the user wants to reinstall everything from scratch with a different version of XP with a different legal cd key, that's his decision.

But I feel he should use the Dell OEM xp disk that came with the computer or reinstall from the Dell recovery partition.

Have any of you tried to slipstream an oem disk? Google Dell oem and slipstream. Several anon users have claimed to but none have ever explained how given a method that is repeatable. It is easier to hack the dell recovery partition and burn an image onto a new drive and that ain't something you can do without linux tools.

So IMHO, first thing the OP needs to do is back up the useful data and see if his computer can boot the recovery partition. When your ready to start the process, we can post useful tips for getting up to date via windows update and a basic set of av/am tools to help keep it clean.

It's a p4 dell desktop new enough to have ide for the cd/dvd and sata for the hard drive.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...00/sm/index.htm

Dell itself has large amounts of detailed step by step info online. Enter your service tag number and poke around. Or post it here and I will locate the pages you need.

Dell phone support has degenerated into outsourced page flippers who will say whatever it is they think will get you to hang up and call someone else, or go into the pay support queue. If you say the word malware or virus you can then only get to the pay support queue no matter what other info you might need.

Does anyone think this can be repaired with less pain and suffering for the user than reinstall to a known clean state?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,857 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:32 PM

If you go back...you will see that no one advised the OP to try to slipstream a Dell CD...we know the pitfalls of such :thumbsup:.

But it's a good point to bring up, since users don't seem to distinguish (at times) between a CD prepared by a manufacturer and a MS Genuine XP CD.

Louis

#10 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:50 PM

I concede the point. But.

All Dell xp users should be aware that their cd key sticker is not likely to work with a non dell version of xp, and a reinstall from the xp disk or the recovery partition does not ask for a cd key as long as the system is a dell bios of approximately the same age. Dimension disks span several years. Laptop (inspiron) disk are a little closer together.

Dell oem versions of Vista and win7 don't work the same way from what I read, but I don't have any.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users