Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Issue

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:10 AM

Alright, so, a little background:

I don't have word on my laptop after reformatting a few months back, and I had to write an English paper for High School. It was supposed to be no more than 4 pages, but, having just notepad, it is almost impossible to tell how many pages you have. So, when I thought I was done, I turned off my firewall to put it on a shared folder to check the length on my computer that does have word. within a minute after dropping the firewall, this little shield came up in the taskbar with the whole "Your computer has viruses, click here to purchase anti-virus" thing. now, I may be a curious fellow, but im not stupid enough to click that, so I tried to open up Symantec, which gave me an error "Application failed to execute nmain.exe is corrupt Would you like to purchase anti-virus software?"

I tried to get on google chrome to search for this when it said "chrome.exe is corrupt." So, my next line of defense is System Restore. which gave the same error as all the rest. Frustrated, I tried to get into safe mode w/ command prompt and run restore from there. Upon booting it up, all I got was a "- ?" on a blue background. the same was recieved in regular safe mode and safe mode with networking. Rebooting into standard mode just gives a Blue Screen of Death, with a stop error of 0x00000024(other random memory addresses) which I googled on my working computer to find that that is a corrupt hard drive driver.

This one little drive corrupting virus is giving me hell, and I absolutely need that English paper. is there any way to reinstall the hard drive driver from the BIOS or something? I never recieved the motherboard CD's as this is not a custom-built laptop.

Oh, I have Lenovo Rescue and Recovery, is there anything I can do from there, besides reformat? I can rescue my document from there, but keeping my computer intact would be a great time saver for me.
If I'm posting, I probably have something horribly wrong with my computer, there's no obvious explanation for it, that's just the way it is.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users