Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't even get to the desktop.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kcirtap16

kcirtap16

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:15 AM

Hey guys, you've helped me out before and I was wondering if you could help me again

I was coming back to my computer when I see a blue screen saying that windows had to shut down because it's in danger of harming my computer. I turn it off, go try to go into safe mode and it didn't work. It just stayed at the loading screen. Is there anyway to fix this or am I stuck with a broken computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:12 AM

You posted in the "Am I Infected?" forum. Is there any reason that you posted in a malware related forum, instead of a Software XP/Vista forum?

Has this post and/or this computer anything to do with your post of several weeks ago (October 9th and 10th) ?

Security Tool Virus
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...=263316&hl=
My computer is infected with the Security Tool virus. I followed the steps to the guide on how to uninstall it. I downloaded mbam, but when I try to install mbam, the virus stops me from doing it. It won't let me do anything. In safe mood, I managed to install it, but when I try to run it, it says it's missing the file mbam.exe

Security Tools Virus - Malwarebytes will not install in Safe Mode
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...=262842&hl=
I'm having the same problem as well. I downloaded mbam and it won't let me run it. I downloaded both atf and sas. When I try to run them, the security tool will not allow me to. A warning in the taskbar appears from Security Tool and says " SUPERAntiSpyware.exe is infected with worm Lsas.Blaster.Keyloger. This worm is trying to send your credit card details using SUPERAntiSpyware.exe to connect to remote host."

How are we supposed to use these if we can't even access them?

To get a look at the error message presented by the BSOD (blue screen of death) ....
Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and press the <ENTER> key.
Your system will attempt to restart normally, but when it crashes, it will not re-start: Instead, you will see a BSOD with error message.
Record the error message in full detail, and post in this thread.

Try the following ...
Start tapping the F8 key after you press the ON button, and continue tapping until you are presented with the "Windows Advanced Options Menu" screen.
Use the UP/DOWN arrow keys to select "Last known good configuration", and press the <ENTER> key.
The computer will attempt to load Windows.
If Windows does not start, try the same thing again .... and continue trying for at least 10 times, before you rule that option out as a means of getting your OS up and running again, normally.
Why 10 times? Based on past experience, a successful result is sometimes achieved after several consecutive failed attempts.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 kcirtap16

kcirtap16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2009 - 09:19 PM

Here's exactly what the message says:

A problem hsa been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disc defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xBA4EF3D4, 0XBA4EF0D0, 0X8A541805)

#4 kcirtap16

kcirtap16
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:04 PM

I also tried setting it to Last known good configuration a good 20 times, still nothing.

#5 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:39 PM

Please provide some more information for us to work with.
What operating system are we dealing with ? Service Pack level ?
What had been happening with the computer, before this problem developed?
Desktop or laptop ? Brand & model ?

I will assume that you are using XP.
--------------------------------------------
0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

Source: http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

Step 1
Disconnect or remove any other hard drive that may be connected to this system: This includes internal secondary/slave hard drives, external USB (or other hard drives), USB flashdrives etc.
Try booting the system now.

Step 2 .............. if there is only the one hard drive connected and it still fails to boot with the STOP 0x24 error ...
The first thing that you should do is to check that your hard drive is not failing.
Download the diagnostic utility from the hard drive manufacturer's website to create a bootable floppy or CD. Boot with it, and run the short/quick test and then the long/extended test, and check the S.M.A.R.T. status. If the hard drive tests show NO problems what-so-ever with the hard drive, then it is safe to proceed with more work to rectify the problem with the Windows system.

Find the brand name of your hard drive. You will find this info on the label of the hard drive (most likely you will have to remove the hard drive from the box to read the label). You will also find sufficient info to identify the drive (the model number) by looking in the BIOS Setup Menu.
Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

If you have trouble identifying your hard drive manufacturer, use the Hitachi diagnostic utility: It will work with most hard drives.

Step 3 .......... if there is no problem what-so-ever with the hard drive
Start the Recovery Console using a Windows XP CD (or an XP Recovery Console .ISO image that has been burned to CD http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso): Do the following ...1. Insert the CD in the computer's optical disk drive tray.

2. Start or re-start the computer so that it boots from the CD. You may be prompted to "Press any key". (If the system does not appear to be booting from the CD, you may need to enter the BIOS Setup Menu and change the boot order, so that the CD-ROM/optical disk drive is set to boot before the hard disk drive.)

3. When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R key on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.

4. The Recovery Console will ask which Windows installation you would like to log on to. If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would enter the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press the ENTER key. If you have just one Windows installation, type 1 and press ENTER.

5. You will be prompted for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, (and this is most likely), simply press ENTER.

6. You will be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt.
At the C:\Windows> prompt, type chkdsk /p and press <ENTER>
If any errors are found/repairs made, run chkdsk /p again, and repeat if necessary, until no more errors are found.
Type "exit" at the prompt and press <ENTER> to close the Recovery Console and restart your system.
Does Windows start normally now?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users