Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer audio from an external monitor

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gubat

Gubat

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:15 PM

Hi guys!

Just recently I connected a 22' Samsung LCD TV to my Acer Aspire 4720 laptop, my main goal was to view streaming video and movies from the Samsung LCD.

I connected the laptop to the LCD via a serial cable great picture but this had no audio, so I hooked up an RCA connection cable to the LCD and plugged the other end to the laptop's headphone jack, but alas still no audio from the LCD. I only get sound from my laptop speakers.

Suggestions on how to get my laptop's audio from the LCD TV will be most welcome and appreciated!

Best regards,

Gubat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:11 AM

Are you using the proper converter at the end of the RCA jacks? The RCA jacks' coaxial connector will not fit into the sound output port normally without an adapter.

If you are using the proper converter, make sure you are hooked up to the A/V In ports on the back of the monitor and not the A/V Out port.

#3 Koinos

Koinos

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 05:58 PM

I'd suggest you check the Samsung website.
I just did a random check and they had a pretty comprehensive troubleshooting guide with a step by step for no sound issues.
Since we don't know which model you have it makes it difficult to assist.
Here's the website link I was looking at http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/tv-vide...agetype=subtype
It shows 3 models of 22" LCD TVs with PC connectivity. Their are various options in the TV menus to use other sound sources or disable the internal speakers all together. Once again depends on the model. I didn't notice a RCA Audio in for a PC except on one model, all had standard audio cable inputs for PC. Did see AV in with RCA plugs and know that that may not work as a audio source except when TV is set to Aux/VCR as the source. With a video playing via the PC you could try changing the source on the TV to aux and see if you hear sound.

Basics to check;
With headphones plugged into the same PC output jack do you hear sound?
It is possible that the headphone output isn't enough to drive the speakers in the monitor to a audible level.
Does LCD TV normally have any sound (such as in TV mode)?
Have the cables you're using been tested good?

Edited by Koinos, 05 December 2009 - 06:16 PM.

Quote to ponder;
Jack Sparrow: Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

#4 Gubat

Gubat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 06 December 2009 - 08:45 AM

Dear ERic and Koinos,

Thank you for taking time out to provideme with your insights on my problem. I did some double checking on the connections and found an audio connection for PCs, so I got myself an cable that would match the output of my laptop and that on the PC.

At first I was stunned as there was still no sound coming out from the LCD, I backtracked the connection and found that the cable wasn't plugged properly. I reconnected and voila! sound was now coming out of the LCD.

@ Koinos the model I have is the series 3 version of the 22' panel that they offer.

Once again thank you guys and regards!

Gubat

Edited by Gubat, 06 December 2009 - 09:15 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users