Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hooking LG LHB953 Blu-Ray Player to Internet

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 biggin587

biggin587

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:41 PM

Well I am having a problem. I want to connect my BluRay Player that streams Netflix movies to the internet. Well my wireless router is in my bedroom and my DVD player is in the living room. I really dont want to spend all day running a ethernet cord to the DVD player to make it look nice, so I want it to be a wireless connection. How should I go about this, the best and cheapest way of course. I would like just to get an adapter but I keep my connection password protected. Could I still use the adapter? I am pretty computer literate but no hardly nothing about networking, so any help would be great. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:21 PM

You may want to look into Power Line networking. The idea is that instead of using an Ethernet cable, signals are sent through the 'ground', the circular hole in the wall plugs, to other devices. I've never dealt with it. But it sounds like it would suit your situation well. This is assuming you're willing to spend money. Otherwise, I only know of the wireless way (adapter) and the wired way (ethernet cord). Best of luck!

How Power Line Networking Works

No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:48 PM

The power line option might not be cheap, I never looked into it so not sure of the price. But if you can't get a usb adapter to work it might be a viable option to ye old LONG ethernet cable lol

EDIT: Ok looking into your blu-ray player, its very nice BTW. It doesn't look like USB wireless is an option besides if you are looking to do streaming wireless would be frustrating. Downloading it would be bad enough but then to broadcast it? Talk about a headache.

After looking into and reading a few reviews on it, it looks like you need to be picky about how the power is run in your house. You'll need to do some serious research. Best Buy has them. I would buy it with the understanding that you can take it back if it doesn't work. Wal-Mart does too and I know they'll take it back lol. Either way take it home, test it and see. They aren't cheap but dood..you have a $600 blu-ray system, don't be cheap now ROFL =)

Edited by CaveDweller2, 02 December 2009 - 12:12 AM.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 biggin587

biggin587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:21 AM

After looking into and reading a few reviews on it, it looks like you need to be picky about how the power is run in your house. You'll need to do some serious research. Best Buy has them. I would buy it with the understanding that you can take it back if it doesn't work. Wal-Mart does too and I know they'll take it back lol. Either way take it home, test it and see. They aren't cheap but dood..you have a $600 blu-ray system, don't be cheap now ROFL =)

I am not sure I am following you..lol. Whats how the power is ran have to do with anything? Maybe I am miss reading something, I wish they could have just built in a wifi card. I mean it has Netflix on it (the main reason I want the internet). :thumbsup:

Edited by biggin587, 02 December 2009 - 02:21 AM.

#5 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:47 AM

Lemme see if I can find the review I saw. There is one that was detailed.

i think everyone needs to check if the two outlets being used have the same Hot phase. every house that has 240v service has two hot phases (A & B, B & C, or A & C). (it is actually a 240 volt, center tapped transformer with the center tap being your neutral) if your two adapters are connect to outlets of opposite hot phases, then effectively your signal is probably having to travel all the way to the transformer and back. (that would add a good bit of unnecessary distance). if the two outlets have the same hot phase then the signal would only travel as far as your breaker box. this can be easily checked by an ELECTRICIAN with just a multimeter (240V capable) and an extension cord. DO NOT attempt this if you dont know how because you could potentially be working with 240 Volts AC). that is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS if you dont know what you are doing. Ask an Electrician for help.
if the outlets are of different Phases, pick a different outlet or have an ELECTRICIAN change one at the breaker

This was a review on 1 of the item. But there were other reviews saying it worked for a bit then stopped. And yet other reviews on other products that did the same thing. So I dunno if its all power line networking stuff or just the 4 or 5 I looked at.

I am not sure what he means in his statement. Could he mean if you pick outlets that have breakers on the same side of your wiring panel? I dunno.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#6 biggin587

biggin587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:19 AM

Well it just so happens that I use to work in the Electrical field..lol. I dont know why they are talking about 240 volts when 90% of your household outlets are 120 volts. But basically a 240 line just has two hot "legs" or wires, no neutral. 120 twice (two hot legs) = 240 Volts basically. But I thought they all ran off 120 volts, that makes the most sense if we are talking about the powerline option. Couldnt I just get a Linksys WET610N Dual Band Wireless N Ethernet Bridge, and that do the job? Im not sure how it would connect if my router has a password in order to connect (dont want moochers stealing my little bit of bandwith I do have) lol Thanks in advance...

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:27 PM

Sure you could use that, but I still think, even at N speeds, streaming video over wireless isn't a great idea. But you have options so if it sucks then you can try other things.

#8 eddiespageddy

eddiespageddy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:03 AM

what make model is your bluray? Sounds similar to my problem, although Samsung provides a USB wifi adapter ofr ours, it doesnt work at my friends wireless network while it does on mine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users