Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

trouble with admin and user accounts

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 notthecraw

notthecraw

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:42 PM

Hi,

I added a user to my XP Pro and then switched admin privileges. That didn't work out as well as I expected, as when logged in my original account, my files were "read only". I switched the admin privileges back, but two problems persist: 1. my files are still "read only" even when logged in as admin, and 2. I am unable to delete the new user account ("permission denied").

Thanks very much for helping me.

~Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:24 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Just how did you go about switching admin privileges?

FWIW: IMO, the read-only attribute really doesn't mean anything. If you check, you will find that any files on a CD/DVD are "read-only" and that makes sense, since the content of a CD/DVD cannot be modified while on the disk. But these files, when copied to a hard drive, may still reflect a "read-only" attribute...but they are indeed capable of being modified.

Scroll down to Read-Only at http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/fatAttributes-c.html

If you are referring to folders/files that fall into the Docs & Settings category...that may be a different issue, one which simply requires your taking ownership of the files/folders in question.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

#3 notthecraw

notthecraw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:29 PM

Thank you for the reply, Luis. I'm heading out of town now for four days so I'll be a little late in trying these things, but I'll post back once I get back and work on it. Thanks again,

~Dan

#4 notthecraw

notthecraw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:51 PM

Hi, and thank you for your help.

Over the last few days I met a computer guy who sat down at my machine and determined what the problem is. I had a rootkit that was redirecting my browser, and I thought that I had that fixed in the malware forum. However, apparently the virus changed security settings on my computer and was preventing me from having administrator rights. In fact, no user on my machine had admin rights; it possibly was in zombie mode! So he was able to make changes and get me back to having control over my computer, but assured me that the tdss rootkit is insidious and recommended that I build a new machine. Well, all's good for now so feel free to close this issue.

Thanks again for being there!

!Dan

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 07 December 2009 - 03:42 PM

Thanks for posting the problem/solution...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users