Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hard drive cables and connections

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:37 PM

my desktop (dell dimension 8200) has had no major issues (or maintenance performed) in about 6 years...

it has recently gotten REALLY crappy in terms of performance. slow, plodding and generally just full of malaise...

i pulled out the hard drive out with the intention of hooking it to my daughters vostro 220 as a slave drive, transfer off my photos, documents and other files and then doing a clean re-install of XPpro...

after crawling under two desks and unhooking all of the cables and pulling the respective PCs out, i find that the 'buggered' HDD has a wide flat ribbon cable (IDE?) while the good HDD has a short narrow cable (SATA?)...

the good computers MoBo has no corresponding cable socket for the old drive...

do i have to find an old computer that is working properly in order to hook up my old HDD? i dont want to necessarily use an external hook-up that uses a USB port because ive only got 1.0 USB on that computer. i dont have forever to wait for it to transfer...

the 'old' HDD is an 80gb drive and i need about 60-65gb of files off it so i can redo it...

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 C03_M4NN

C03_M4NN

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:40 PM

Well if both computers connect to the internet through a router or whatnot , you could always transfer your files to her computer through file / print sharing... not the greatest method , but would work in a pinch...

#3 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:46 PM

transfer your files to her computer through file / print sharing

is that using a 'home network'?

ive never had good luck with getting that set up or staying up once i create it...

i guess i could always try it. wouldnt it be kind of slow?

thanks

#4 C03_M4NN

C03_M4NN

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:53 PM

It really depends on your hardware and how the computers are working in terms of speed. Mine personally isn't too bad however it's had some major tweaking done to it. Also if you take everything you want to save, make a folder and put it all in. Once you set up so you can access either your daughters computer from yours or vice versa, simply move the folder and go have a beer or two...

#5 C03_M4NN

C03_M4NN

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:56 PM

Also if you go to Support.microsoft.com and search setting this up it will show you how to depending on what OS you are using on both computers....

#6 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:57 PM

if you take everything you want to save, make a folder and put it all in.

oh definitely...

she has lots of room on her HDD, since its a new replacement from Dell and its a 200 something gb and has only the standard windows bs, word, excel, powerpoint, mozilla firefox, AVG and one of her Disney CDs...

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:25 PM

For about $8, you can add USB 2.0 to any system with an open PCI slot.

Louis

#8 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:33 PM

i had spoken with a couple of the gurus and they said even with a 2.0 usb, 80gbs of data would take an awfully long time AND i would have to get the external HD to load it on to...

a guy at work i see ocaissionally told me he has an IDE to SATA converter/matching patch cord so hes going to bring it in for me and then ill just hook it all up as a slave on the 2nd computer...

when THAT doesnt work the way i think it should, ill be back...

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,295 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:48 PM

By far...direct connection of a drive to the motherboard...produces the fastest file transfers.

Via network is slow death...and USB 2.0 seems to be faster but not a whole lot faster, as I recall. I haven't used a USB-connected drive in almost 3 years now.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users