Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Format Error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 C03_M4NN

C03_M4NN

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:35 PM

Hiya again, one more random question for the nite....

I have a Maxtor 80gb hdd and was trying to use it to back up everything off my computer, however since it came out of an old tower I decided to format it first.

When attempting to format through My Computer, right click - format, i can choose quick, or normal , NTFS, or FAT. Obviously NTFS is what i want as it's >80 but when I format it using any options, it will start then just freeze in the middle. It then gives me an error stating it's unable to complete format.

Assuming this hdd is pooched, i hooked it up to my sat. dish for PVR, can totally format it, use it as PVR (assume it used fat file sys.) however upon reconnecting it to my computer it will not display.

I can access it through disk management, rename it and what not, but cannot access the files, or even format it with out the error? any explination of why?

Also attempted to use the command prompt, same issue.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eric ~ Computer Guy

Eric ~ Computer Guy

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:06 AM

You could be having issues on the PC that you are trying to format the drive. Are you trying to format the drive on a different computer than the one the drive came out of? What operating system are you running?

Edited by Eric ~ Computer Guy, 02 December 2009 - 11:08 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:52 PM

If you are trying to format over the same partition structures...perhaps you ought to try deleting the existing partition first...then creating/installing on the unallocated space.

That's the approach I would take.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users