Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting and reinstalling Vista

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 DEATHlLINK

DEATHlLINK

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:32 PM

I have never formatted a hard drive or installed a Windows based system before so I am wondering what would be the process for this. My cpu has issues now malware/rootkits etc. So I am thinking formatting and reinstalling the operating system on my dell laptop may be a good option. Still unsure of what i may do but thought I would at least get some info on it.
So my questions are ?
1: if you format are you truly starting from a clean slate if you had rootkits/infections etc. are they wiped clean?
2: What is the process to format and reinstall and do I need to know command prompt type code to re-install the operating system?
3. Since I originally purchased my laptop from Bestbuy when i reinstall the operating sytem will all that stuff they add to the cpu be on there when i re-install it ughh id hate to have to remove all that stuff again why cant they just leave the cpu's the way they are without adding geek squad utilities and free trials of this and that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:05 PM

Once you reformat, you should be fine
Providing you have the disks that came with the computer, you enter the BIOS and change the first boot device to the CD/DVD drive.
Then pop in the first disk
It will be returned to the same state as when it left the factory.
Garbage included, I'm afraid
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 DEATHlLINK

DEATHlLINK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:07 AM

Well this may be a good option for me but i just read on the Dell inspirion 1525 that there is a bios password? That could be needed during reformatting. Well I will continue my quest for answers and hope for a clean cpu soon.

#4 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:51 AM

hi,,,, there will only be a bios password on if you have set one,,,, if not then all will be fine and follow Marks instructions you will be ok,,,,
also if the issues your having are security related and you really dont want to clean install then post in the "am i infected" forum in the security section and seek help of the security experts there,,, this could save you the hassles of a clean install :huh:
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#5 DEATHlLINK

DEATHlLINK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:11 AM

Ok well thats good news. Well i have posted my hjt log in the appropriate forum I am just trying to get info. It just seems like there is so many issues with it. There are things on it i have never seen or installed. So I thought I'd check into formatting and see what is involved if I have to go this route.

#6 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:43 PM

hi,,,, does someone else have access to the pc ??? as you say there is stuff on it you never put there,,, if so then when all is fine on the pc and your letting someone use it too i would consider making them a limited user account on the pc.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#7 DEATHlLINK

DEATHlLINK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 07:17 PM

To be honest I wonder if i was hacked and think some of these programs came from that but i could be wrong I noticed a weird people near you program on my cpu and some other things the other people using the cpu dont install things but once I get it cleaned up i am going to definitely change some permissions to make sure. Otherwise my 13yr old might try and download something like music or something ahh the teenage years time to get him his own cpu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users