Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Security

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 granmaf

granmaf

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 11 August 2005 - 05:58 AM

can someone please answer this question?

i just set up a dsl wireless network at home on two computers. computer 1 is connected to broadband router via usb and connected to belkin hub via Ethernet, computer 2 is not connected to anything just has a wireless pci card installed.

i have everything working ok but need to know if the virus and firewall on computer 1 is enough for computer 2 or do i need to install something else on computer 2 also.

computer 1 has the msn premium internet software that includes a pop-up guard, virus guard and firewall protection and win me.

on computer 2 i have win98 and is not able to use the software. tried to use zonealarm on computer 2 with but block out even when i allowed it still did not get through so i uninstall the zonealarm. it works now but am i safe without any other virus protection on computer no. 2?

any help would be appreciated,thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 unrepper

unrepper

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 11:58 AM

You have two seperate computers. Each needs it's own protection. Analogy: Two cars if I have an alarm system installed in car 1 will keep car 2 from being stolen? Not trying to be a smart a$$. :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#3 granmaf

granmaf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:23 PM

:thumbsup: thanks that makes sense, but why didn't zonealarm work? i have norton 2005 i guess i'll try it, just don't want to mess things up since it is working.i'm new to this can't believe i did it myself ( network) it's so nice of you to help me understand

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users