Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 toastedwaffle

toastedwaffle

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:25 PM

I am planning on getting a USB External Hard Drive in the near future, and have a quick question about what I will be capable of using it for.

First off I have Windows Vista Business 32-bit.

If I were to use the backup and restore center to create a "Complete PC Backup and Restore Image" and save that to my External Hard Drive, would that be the only thing I could save to my External Hard Drive.

Basically I am asking, if I don't use up all the space on the external hard drive doing the PC backup will I be able to also save other data files to the external hard drive? Does having other data files saved to the external hard drive along with the complete PC backup cause issues if I were to go and try to restore my computer with the backup (if something were to go wrong). Like when I click on the "restore computer" button, will it just locate the backup image on the external hard drive, or will issues arise cause there is also other data files saved to the external hard drive.

If what I just wrote does not make any sense please tell me, and I will try to re-word it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:37 PM

A typical "USB external drive" consists of nothing more than an internal, ordinary hard drive connected to proper terminals inside a plastic/metal case which has a fan and power supply attached, along with an on/off switch (hopefully).

Many of us who use such just buy an enclosure and slap one of our old hard drives in it...instant external drive.

If the backup and restore center is a Vista tool...it will save to any partition. It does not own the partition, the partition is just a file storage area where you have decided to place the files created by this backup and restore center.

Any sort of other data files can also be stored on that drive. You can use that drive to store any files, as long as sufficient room exists on the drive.

Louis

#3 C03_M4NN

C03_M4NN

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:38 PM

Hi, I'm not 100% on Vista as I'm finally updating my 1 computer to XP lmao, I much prefer 2000, however, this should not be a problem for you and an external HD. Worst case scenario, you could always partition it, put ur image on one partition, and use the rest for storage, however beware that if you constantly leave it connected to your PC there are some virus' that can take over it as well as ur internal hd such as restore points... odds of that are usually slim, but always a possability...

Lol Sorry for almost same post as above, Hamluis clearly is quicker to the draw with the right info, didn't realize their post untill I already posted this... once again sorry.

Edited by C03_M4NN, 01 December 2009 - 07:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users