Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opening Multiple Media Player Apps & Making Disc Space.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TQUAD

TQUAD

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:13 PM

Help needed,
I hope this is simple all though I am unable to figure out how to do it. I would like to open more than one Windows Media Player application to facilitate viewing one video file while playing a completely different audio wav file. I can only do this now by opening Media Player first and muting the audio then opening a separate Irfanview application. Unfortunately the Irfanview program has no volume control on it and I need the volume adjustment capabilities like on Media Player. How can I open two Windows Media Player applications and select a different file for each one to play?
My second question involves safely deleting programs I never use from Windows XP and Office Suite. I never use many of them and need to make room on my hard drive. Is it possible and safe to delete programs like PowerPoint, Publisher, Front Page etc to make more disc space on my hard drive? Are there any other programs that could safely be eliminated in Windows XP if I no longer use them, such as Internet Explorer, Outlook and Outlook Express? I am worried that if they were deleted it would affect the performance or even the actual functionality of other programs.
Any help and suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
TQUAD

Edited by TQUAD, 01 December 2009 - 07:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:38 PM

No help here but with the older editions it was simple to run multiple films at the same time, thes late versions don' allow that. I have thought of trying to back track to older versions so I could run comparisons also. You post will be of great interest to me also!

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,249 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:21 PM

You can delete any/all of the MS Office programs, since you can delete anything that appears in Add/Remove Programs. You can delete Outlook, since that's part of Office.

You cannot delete IE or Outlook Express, they are a basic part of Windows XP.

As for media players...there are a ton of media players out there...with a little diligence and effort, I'm sure that you could probably find at least 5 that do everything you want done. No one has to use WMP...I use it only for watching DVDs, preferring to use other programs for other aspects of multimedia.

Louis

#4 TQUAD

TQUAD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 01:46 AM

Louis,
Thanks for the advice on IE and Outlook Express. As far as other media players out there none of them will let you open multiple applications without closing the previous one, just like WMP. Like MS Word, you can open as many documents as you want. That is what I want to do with WMP or an equivalent type player with an adjustable volume control. Also quite a few of the players out there come with unwanted options that I don't want on my computer. I was hoping there was a registry modification that would change WMP's limit of only allowing one application at a time.
TQUAD

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:25 AM

I wonder how hard it would be to get back to the basic player in XP, once you start updating that is when you lose the ability to do multi players. I ran multi player a lot when my grand kids were small to keep them entertained when I was watching them, have not had the need lately.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 hozerdude

hozerdude

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:02 AM

Have you tried "Audacity" for an audio application?
Very versatile (a bit complex for beginners) and free.
Plug-in's required for Mp3 work.

For the 'disk space' issue:
For some immediate 'c' disk space gain, delete all but the most recent Java version & update from 'Add or Remove Programs' (see 'Control Panel'> Add or Remove...);
Also, delete old 'Restore Points'.
If your system is behaving itself, make a new Restore Pt.; then go to System Tools> Disk cleanup> (after it's done examining the disk)> More Options> System Restore button @ bottom> Clean up> Yes.

One disk performance item is to 'compress contents' and 'allow index service'. These help optimize file recovery speed & save disk space.
Start> my computer> right click 'c' drive> properties> general tab: here check both boxes & 'OK'.

Don't freak out: it may say hours (or days) to run, but this drops dramatically as the process advances. Just walk away and let 'er run for the duration: it will self close when done.
Depending on the files & sizes, it may take several hours to do (maybe do it at night before bed?).
When done, run 'CCleaner' (http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/)
& defrag the drive.

Download; create a 'Restore Point'; install CCleaner.
Then, (using the default settings):
On the main CC window, the 'paintbrush' tab is for the Windows components that you can clean; (in the 'Advanced' heading, check 'Hotfix uninstallers' to clear these files) & tick the bottom right box (Run Cleaner) and it will delete (or overwrite option) those files.

Same procedure for the 'applications' tab.

Next, down from the' paintbrush' is the 'Registry' icon (like a Rubik's Cube); first tick 'Scan for issues' button on the bottom; wait for the process to run.
It'll show a long list of entries for the first couple of cleanings; (Back up your first couple of registry cleanings, and if your unit gets ungovernable, restore those files. I've never had to do it, so I can't tell you how. After that the cleanings will be for empty folders or other junk so backup likely won't be necessary).
When ready, tick the 'Fix Selected entries' and CC will take care of those.
For your 1st few uses, have checked the 'show prompt to back up registry files'; open CC> Options> Advanced> check the 'show prompt...' box; then tick the 'yes' or confirm to back up the registry. (It gets saved to the 'c' drive, as 'cc------')

#7 hozerdude

hozerdude

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:02 AM

Edited by hozerdude, 04 December 2009 - 10:04 AM.

#8 Ken-in-West-Seattle

Ken-in-West-Seattle

• Members
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:07 AM

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/download-med...classic-hc.html
Free.

I have not used the recent versions but this used to have the same multi window capability as the old 6.4 media player.

I will try it out.

ok it will play multiple files if you go to view-options-player, and choose "open each file in its own viewer"

enjoy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users