Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help deciding!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LazyMan826

LazyMan826

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:52 PM

I think I have narrowed down my search and I like these two laptops. Which one is better? I have heard mostly good things about HP but nothing about Asus.

The asus computer seems to have more battery life and such but I just don't know if that brand is okay. Could someone glance over the two computers and let me know what they think? Appreciate the help!

http://www.staples.com/Asus-U80A-RSTML05-L...swerbox_content

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+...p;cp=1&lp=1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:45 PM

Those two laptops look to be the same in most stats. Since these laptops are nearly the same, I don't feel fit to make the decision for you. You'll probably want to look at the tiny details now to see what fits your preference. Are the screens glossy, the keyboard 100% full-size? Are the RAM speeds or battery life better on one than the other? Is one made of a more durable material? In my opinion, I'd go with Asus. But that's just bias, don't have much to base it on.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 LazyMan826

LazyMan826
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:08 PM

Thanks for the help Ryan. Are you familiar with Asus.........are they generally a good company? I have never heard of them so that is why I am asking.

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:16 PM

If I had to choose between Asus and HP, I'd choose Asus. When I helped my mother with her Asus laptop, the customer support was good, and the laptop seemed very well-built. I'm sure HP has changed since I last had them, but I was unimpressed with their customer support and with the computer in general. But that was a long time ago. Lasting impressions: Asus is solid, HP occasionally gets it right. But again, haven't had HP for awhile.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 LouieChuckyMerry

LouieChuckyMerry

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:54 AM

Howdy. I WAS leaning toward the HP you linked, due to positive past experience with HP and despite the seemingly good reputation of Asus, but then I found this deal

http://www.officemax.com/technology/comput...efineValue~4+GB

which has everything your linked HP has PLUS wireless n and an HDMI port for $50 less. Of course personal experience is just that, but my two-year-old dealings with HP customer service were top-notch. Anyway, check out this deal before you decide.

#6 LazyMan826

LazyMan826
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 08:13 AM

Thank you all for your comments; they have been very helpful.
Look forward to hearing from others....I still am on the fence about what to do!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users