Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown user, randomly named

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gamemaster406

gamemaster406

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:46 PM

Hi, I was changing permissions for some of my files when I noticed something odd. I have included a screenshot showing the randomly named user and the permissions it has. Should it be removed or is this something important for Vista? This unknown user appears for just about every file, not all though.

Posted Image

Edited by gamemaster406, 01 December 2009 - 06:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 C03_M4NN

C03_M4NN

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:11 PM

What are the permissions if you look under advanced that it shows?

Edited by C03_M4NN, 01 December 2009 - 07:12 PM.

#3 gamemaster406

gamemaster406
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:28 PM

What are the permissions if you look under advanced that it shows?

If I go into Advanced, the only permissions checked is Delete.

#4 C03_M4NN

C03_M4NN

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:59 PM

Well in all fairness I cannot say with 100% certainty of why this is here, however if the only permission is Delete, I wouldn't worry about it as it's unable to access anything important - other than deleting the file.
I know assumeing - makes an ass out of you and me- however seeing system in there as well i would be more than willing to believe it is part of the OS, perhaps for Add/Remove progs or something similar.

It's unfortunate that I can not clairify it totally for you as I have been searching the KB and Support from Microsoft to no avail.

Only other thing I would be able to suggest is do an online scan and see if it picks anything up on your computer, that way you would atleast have piece of mind as well.

Edited by C03_M4NN, 01 December 2009 - 08:00 PM.

#5 gamemaster406

gamemaster406
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:06 PM

I did scans with Avira, Malwarebytes, and SUPERAntiSpyware, all came up clean.

However I did some searching and some websites said its an error with an old user account on a previous version of Windows. I did have to format my hard drive a few weeks ago so that may be the cause. Another website said, its just old data from a deleted user account, and it is safe to remove the account.

I'll do some more searching and reply back.

Edited by gamemaster406, 01 December 2009 - 08:06 PM.

#6 C03_M4NN

C03_M4NN

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:07 PM

Thank You, I am very interested in how it turns out for future reference. Best of luck and look forward to hearing the results!

#7 gamemaster406

gamemaster406
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:17 PM

Hmm... I attempted to delete the account by clicking Edit, then Remove on that account, but it says it cannot delete the account because "this object is inheriting permissions from its parent." I guess I'm just going to leave it and not attempt to manually delete it and end up hurting something else. Since 3 anti-malware programs didn't detect anything, I'm just going to go with my system being ok.

-Mike

Edited by gamemaster406, 01 December 2009 - 08:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users