Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WMP missing everything

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 D_N_M

D_N_M

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:19 PM

Hello folkes

i had some cd's copied to windows media player and went to play some of them the other day to find my library was empty?
these cd's have been on there for 2 years? but now there gone .
dunno what happened? i didnt delete them nor did my wife or kids (they prefer youtube and myspace :thumbsup:
i don't like the myspace thing or ANY of that crap on my PC BUT there kids so i allow it on a limited account to chat with friends from school .
could an update from MS be the culprit?
maybe the media player updated itself and wiped out all my music?
i do have automatic updates enabled but i choose custom install so i know whats being installed.
i'm just stumped on this one and i have googled for a problem but couldnt find anything related to an update or anything.

any input is always appreciated.

D_N_M

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 06:47 PM

Have you done a simple search for all music files?

Start/Search...use *.mp3 or *.wav as the search string and make all file extensions and all files (system/hidden) viewable before doing the search.

How to Enable Show Hidden Files and Folders Tools and Resources - http://www.precisesecurity.com/tools-resou...es-and-folders/

How to see hidden files in Windows - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-see-hidden-files-in-windows/

Louis

#3 D_N_M

D_N_M
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:39 AM

Hello hamluis

Thanks for the reply.
I did a search fro the music and indeed it has been moved from WMP to My Documents/My Music.
Just don't know what happened or why they were moved?
Thanks for the help hamluis

D_N_M

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:50 AM

Your music did not "move" from WMP to My Documents/My Music.
When you copy a cd, the songs automatically copy to My Music. The reason they are on WMP is because you used that player for the copying. Doesn't matter what player you use, they will all by default copy a cd to My Music.

You can change the default copy location in WMP options if you want them to be copied to a file somewhere else on your system.
I can't tell you why they disappeared from WMP but it's a simple matter to import them back to it.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 03 December 2009 - 09:53 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users