Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer shared with two computers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 J.C.

J.C.

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:07 PM

hello all, I have one canon printer which presently is connected to a PC running WinXP and I want to share this printer with my laptop running Win7.
I need to know how to:
1...connect Printer to both the PC and Laptop.
2...if the printer driver have to be installed to both the PC and Laptop.
3...what the connecting set-up is called (is it Shared or Networking?)
Some other detail: I am using an ADSL box provided by my isp with 4 outlets, 2 are being used for Internet by my PC and Laptop.
TIA

Edited by J.C., 01 December 2009 - 05:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:28 PM

You want to network both computers, using the XP Networking Wizard. When setting up the network (use mshome as the name), indicate that you share a connection, a residential gateway (you probably have a modem/router). Residential gateway is just another term for a router :thumbsup:.

As part of networking, you can share devices, such as a printer, between the two.

Share Your Printer Over a Home Network Using Windows XP - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...cutt_july2.mspx

Step By Step Share a Printer on Your Home Network - http://lifehacker.com/software/step-by-ste...work-309015.php

How to Share Printer in Windows XP - http://www.home-network-help.com/share-printer.html

Louis

#3 J.C.

J.C.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 03 December 2009 - 12:34 PM

Louis
I did try to set it up as explained in the links you suggested without success, but two items needs clarification:
1...when I got to the dialog box 'Additional Drivers' on the host desktop computer (windows xp), it does not list Window 7.
2...do I have to install the Printer Driver using the printer cd on the window7 laptop?
Thanks for your help
Joe

#4 Koinos

Koinos

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 22 March 2010 - 05:03 PM

Another possible setup would be to add your printer as a networked device.
This way the device with the printer attached (PC) doesn't have to be on in order to print from the other device(Laptop).
Depending on the printer model and interface it could be done with a printer network interface device like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833139009 USB 2.0 to RJ45 then connect it to a vacant router port.
Have to assign the interface device an IP address within the range you set in your router.
Then connect to it on each PC through the add printer wizard. To local printer, create a port=Standard TCP/IP using the IP address. The rest is done following the on screen directions.
Quote to ponder;
Jack Sparrow: Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 23 March 2010 - 07:46 PM

On a system running XP...you need to have the XP driver installed.

On a system running Win 7...the Win 7 driver (if it exists), the Vista driver (if no Win 7 driver) is the way I would go.

Just remember...a driver is a device for providing communication between the hardware item (printer) and the O/S. For XP to communicate, it needs an XP driver...for Win 7, it requires a Win 7/Vista driver.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users