Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal SD Card Reader

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 blov10

blov10

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:02 PM

I have Dell Dimension 2350 desktop and I don't use the 3.5" disk drive bay anymore. I was looking on newegg for internal (insert # here) in one card readers. I know when I upgraded the DVD drive I needed to get an IDE drive. Most of the internal card readers have a small plug in type cable and it looks like its supposed to fit on a USB thingy inside the computer. My question is I had to install a USB 2.0 card with ports in the back of the computer earlier in the year to try to upgrade from the 1.1 I have. I don't know if it ever gave me 2.0 since it doesn't show up that way on the hardware list. Would this internal card reader cable plug into that card somewhere and if it would, does the USB card need to be working as 2.0?

Thanks

Edited by blov10, 01 December 2009 - 05:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:15 PM

It helps if you provide a link so that we can look at the reader in question.

Louis

#3 blov10

blov10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:39 PM

Sorry,

Here are a few. I usually just go by the ones with the better reviews.

Reader 1

Reader 2

Something along these lines if its compatible with my old machine.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:19 PM

Manual for system, http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...50/K0511bk0.pdf.

Scroll down to pages 73/74...appears to me that your motherboard doesn't support USB with headers, which jives with the fact that you installed a USB 2.0 card...so you cannot use the two drives you pointed out because they connect to USB connections on the motherboard (which later boards have).

But, since you have a PCI card installed which gives you USB connectivity, you can connect an external card reader to your PCI card.

Louis

#5 blov10

blov10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:13 PM

Thanks. I don't know if it matters or not but the computer came with a PCI card with USB slots when I purchased it. I added the supposedly USB 2.0 PCI card also. Both cards are still in the computer. Would the original card have the "header" on it? If not, I guess I'll just have to buy a plug and play one.

Edited by blov10, 01 December 2009 - 09:16 PM.

#6 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:19 PM

Is the header the plug I would have used for the internal reader hookup?

There's the problem. Most cards don't have the correct internal connector.

This is the only one I am aware of that has the intertnal header to connect an internal card reader.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...6-001-_-Product

Edited by dpunisher, 01 December 2009 - 09:19 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#7 blov10

blov10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:05 PM

This is the one I purchased. It looks to have an additional hook up internally but I don't know if they make an internal reader that plugs into a usb port.

Link

Edited by blov10, 01 December 2009 - 10:17 PM.

#8 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:20 PM

It looks to have an additional hook up internally but I don't know if they make an internal reader that plugs into a usb port.

Haven't found one yet.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users