Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Firewall Blocking Traffic

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 whitedragon551

whitedragon551

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:17 PM

Im actually having an issue currently with the Win 7 firewall and my bittorrent client, uTorrent.

uTorrent reports that its not connectible due to a router or NAT error. Although I am still getting traffic through from AIX (BF2 Mod). The speedguide to test if the port is forwarded properly reports that the port does not appear to be open. I have allowed uTorrent both in inbound and outbound traffic and I have allowed it on Private and Public connections and still no change in status. Any clues on this?

I have completely uninstalled Windows 7 Firewall control and completely turned off the Windows 7 Firewall all together after I reset its options back to default. With it off uTorrent still reports that the port is not open. I have a firewall on my router, but I have it set to be turned off.

Any idea on where to start trouble shooting? Its actually quite bothersome knowing that my firewall is messing up.

| Windows Firewall Control | Sophos Antivirus |

| Image for Windows v3.02 | Comodo Dome Shield |

| TysTechTalk.com |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:36 PM

Firewall has nothing to do in this case.

The port has to be forwarded in your router/modem.
Note down the listening port number for incoming connections in uTorrent settings ( Options > Preferences > Connections )
Open your router settings by typing its default IP address ( like 192.168.1.1 ) in browser. How to forward the port depends on the model of router you have.

You can find the instructions for doing so in the router manual.
You may also find the instructions at http://www.portforward.com/
You can also post the make and model number here, there is a possibility that some of BC members have the same model.

#3 whitedragon551

whitedragon551
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:37 PM

The router firewall is turned off. Its not on in any way shape or form. Thats why Im confused.

| TysTechTalk.com |

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:51 PM

I think its not the Firewall but NAT that handles port forwarding. I may be wrong.

#5 whitedragon551

whitedragon551
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:01 PM

NAT (Public Proxied Subnet) is off as well.

Im on a 2Wire 2701HG-B wireless router through ATT DSL.

I made sure there were no traces or services left over from any other firewalls that I tested. Everything is clear. Only thing I have is Avira Antivir Premium and Windows 7 Firewall. I have A-Squared Antimalware and MBAM for on demand scans, but neither one runs active on my computer ever.

Edited by whitedragon551, 01 December 2009 - 05:03 PM.

| TysTechTalk.com |

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:24 PM

Try pluggin your computer directly into the modem and see if the issue persists. I am sort of tired, but I am pretty sure in NAT is disabled, then your router will not know where on your network to pass the data.

#7 whitedragon551

whitedragon551
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:38 PM

NAT was never enabled on the router by default and I never turned it on. Im pretty sure I have the culprit pinned down.

In the Windows 7 Firewall there are 3 profiles: Domain, Private, and Public.

When you connect to a network for the first time it asks if your connection is public, private (home), or something else.

In Win 7 the firewall defaults to the public profile so its the active profile. Any rules that are made under the private or domain profile wont be active and they wont work. I had to change the type of connection thats at my house from Private (home) to public and it works.

This leads me to another question though. Since I dont want to switch between profile types all the time is it possible to enable 2 Windows firewall profiles at the same time? Id like to enable Private and Public at the same time so I dont need to switch. Ill always have the right set of rules.

| TysTechTalk.com |

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:58 PM

My laptop recognizes when I am on different connections, so yes, you can have multiple profiles. When I am at home, it uses my private profile. When I am at school, it uses my public profile. Each time you set up a connection, it will prompt you as to the type of connection you want.

#9 whitedragon551

whitedragon551
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:02 PM

I know you can set up each profile with specific rules to that profile. I want to know why uTorrent wouldnt follow the rules set for a private network with the connection set to private. I had to manually set the network to public and set the firewall to register each and every connection from here on out to public as well.

I dont mean multiple profiles one at a time. I mean set multiple profiles and have both sets be active at the same time with only having a single connection.

Edited by whitedragon551, 01 December 2009 - 08:03 PM.

| TysTechTalk.com |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users