Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bullies

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Poll: Which one is a bully? (1 member(s) have cast votes)

Which child was the bully?

1. Boy A (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Boy B (0 votes [0.00%])

3. Both A and B (1 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

4. Neither (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Bassplayer15

Bassplayer15

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:08 PM

So my mom and I got into a discussion about which child was a bully and i would like to know your opinions. So here is the story, Boy A calls Boy B poor so while in the bathroom Boy B pushes Boy A against a wall and says " I will break your arm." That's the whole story so make your choices wisely :thumbsup:
Grace is given freely, but respect must be earned.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 05:06 PM

Neither. Being a single incident with no back history it doesn't meet my requirement for bullying. That being said I'm always wrong so most likely whichever childs parents scream bloody murder the loudest the other one will be called the "bully". Nevermind its just kids being kids.

Posted Image

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 07:56 PM

As BlackSpyder says, there is insufficient information to make the call that either fits the profile of a bully. Definition of a bully according to TheFreeDictionary: bul·ly 1 (bl)
n. pl. bul·lies
1. A person who is habitually cruel or overbearing, especially to smaller or weaker people.
2. A hired ruffian; a thug.

In the case you describe we don't know the 'history' to know if this is 'habitual' behavior or a case of 'heat of the moment' acting out. Also very unlikely that Boy B is a hired 'ruffian or thug'. Therefore insufficient data to ascribe the moniker bully to either individual.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:40 AM

Talk about being over analytical. I think hes asking personal opinion. Would I be wrong in saying that Bassplayer15?
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,563 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:00 PM

When it comes to judging a child/persons character and assigning a 'label'. I would hope I was considered over analytical instead of quick to judge. I endeavor to try and give the benefit of the doubt the first time. So thanks for the compliment.

So if he's asking for an opinion, as you suggest. I would say I can't make one, based on the information presented. I would not be presumptuous enough to call someone a bully based on the current amount of information provided. Especially if you factor in the comment, "so make your choices wisely."

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:40 PM

@Bassplayer15,as it so happens a few years ago i dealth with a situation kinda like you discribe here.....
Let me preface this by tellin you that I transport "Special needs children " to school.....
I had 2 elementary school boys on my bus......
one was from a well to do family...nice house, nice neighborhood ect...you get the picture.. the 2nd little boy was from a not so well to do family..lived in a mobile home park..ok neighborhood.....ect....
now boy #1 would sneek up behind Boy #2 and whisper thanges to him like "Your stupid" which would up set boy #2 and when Boy #2 had, had enough he would knock boy #1 on his butt.....Now to an outside observer it would look like boy #2 was a bully as this happened quite often, BUt i knew the whole story as i take the time to get to know my student's.....Boy #1 wasn't on my bus because he was challenged....he was there because i was his body guard.....why was i his body guard you might ask....because the situation that i just described to you was this childs method of operating, he was looking for attention...because his father was a workaholic and didn't pay much attention to his son......
Boy #2's father has committed suicide in ther front yard and his son had found him......which would mess with anybodys mind, especially that of a child..so when the world got to be too much for him to handle he would have a meltdown...his mother's answer to this was to committ him to the local hospital's mental health wing and have him shot full of drug's......we won't go into what i thought about his mother.....GRRrrrrrr anyway i digress....
Because boy #1 was so good at bein subtle at his meaness, even the teachers didn't pick up on what he was doin...all they saw was that once again boy #2 was knockin boy #1 on his butt.......
now before the whole story who would you have thought to be the bully???...boy #2 right......
and incidently i line out boy #1 and out a stop to his bullyin of boy #2
and as paul harvey would say.....now you know the rest of the story.....you can't alway's judge by what a situation "Looks" like........

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2009 - 09:48 PM

I've attended some conferences, including the Paul Munger Conference of 2003, in which bullying was the subject. An important thing to add to the definition Animal described is that the bully and the bullied have a real or perceived difference in power. Power is not always physical, just more obvious, and bullying does not necessarily involve physical punching etc. Peer mediation does not work in these situations.

Studies also show that many bullies also are bullied themselves and frequently end up in the criminal justice system.

Behaviour like this is not just a "kid" thing, it is very serious and causes long-lasting internal pain.

The above is summarized from the conferences I attended, the two resources linked to below, and other resources I cannot locate at the moment.

http://www.doe.in.gov/isssa/bullystatistics.html

http://www.doe.in.gov/sservices/pdf/bullying.pdf

I would say in this case they BOTH acted like bullies in this instance. Are they habitual bullies? Who knows with what information has been provided, but both need to have their behaviours addressed in this situation. Both acted inappropriately. Edited to add: To quote from the Powerpoint (in PDF version) I linked to above, "Be careful of stigmatizing students as either bullies or victims."

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edited by Orange Blossom, 03 December 2009 - 10:03 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:13 AM

I would have to say, fights like that happen between best friends. I need more information before I can place a vote. any way.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users