Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitors

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 AM

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:23 PM

Ahem....not willing to take the risk of getting an "OFF TOPIC" attack by certain people in here :thumbsup: I made a new thread lmao.

How long do monitors last.....generally? And does brand make a difference?

Thanks (psst Jason),

~67~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:27 PM

You are truly an Angel... :thumbsup:

Monitors usually last from 7-9 years. The LCD and plasma monitors have not been in the market long enough for me to see how long they last. The only thing I really see in those, is burn-in from a static picture for too long.

Just like in the modem thread-the life span can greatly be lessened with the environment.

Edited: Brand name does not make much of a difference, but some do have longer warranties. More then 90% of them, will make it past that time anyway.

Edited by JEservices, 16 September 2004 - 03:29 PM.

We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#3 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2004 - 03:42 PM

Aww...well what can I say, you bring out the angel in me, lol. :thumbsup:
Anyway....tysvm for the info!

I wondered about the brand though because some brands really stink compared to others. Packard Bell comes to mind in the less than decent quality area.

~67~

#4 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2004 - 02:55 PM

Okay, had one more thing I needed to mention. Too lazy to go back to the old thread so here goes...

You know when I said the monitor's green light flashed orange a few times then shut off? I checked up on the Sony site and about monitors in general. It seems it could be a power issue as y'all stated here as well. Okay, I double checked my power resources because I had some odd things happen on Friday. This isn't off topic really but this is what happened. Early Friday morning, I made a batch of cookies. I then shut off the oven and came here to horse around on the computer. After about 20-30 minutes, it seemed something was amiss. It was getting a little cloudy in the living room, kitchen, and dining room. It seemed awfully warm too. So I get up and look around. Long story short, the oven was on - had to be at least 500 degrees. BUT, when I made the cookies, it was on 325. And ALL the knobs were turned to the 'OFF' position. I jiggled the knobs not knowing what else to do. I got a repairman to come out (bewildered as I was) and he fiddled with the breaker that controls the stove/oven. I discovered it had a breaker of its own since it runs on 220 and the rest of the kitchen runs on 110 (he told me). We shut off the breaker for 45 minutes, turned it back on and the oven stayed off. Anyway, it was kinda scary, it was getting so hot in there and so were the cabinets and appliances near the stove.
My brother stopped by later on and I mentioned the incident to him and also about the monitor. (This is where these stories connect, lol). He mentioned power surges and a light bulb went off. We live in the DFW area of Texas and in this area we get these surges quite often. In fact, for no apparent reason, we'll lose electricity for a couple of minutes and up to an hour. It happens more often for no reason at all than it does for bad storms - I know it's odd. I've never gotten an explanation from the city or the electric company; they just act like I'm a walking idiot.
Okay, forgive the rant. My point is this. I think it may just be the monitor since everything electronic (computer, fax, printer, etc...surround sound, big screen tv, stereo system, etc...) is plugged into a couple of different surge protectors and the only 'freaky' thing seems to be the monitor. I'll keep an eye on it still and see how it goes.
Thanks for reading about my "Freaky Friday" - lol.

~67~

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 20 September 2004 - 02:58 PM

I've never gotten an explanation from the city or the electric company; they just act like I'm a walking idiot.

:thumbsup: been there, done that Loved your story, ~67
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#6 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2004 - 03:08 PM

Hey Phawgg, thanks!
I couldn't help adding a footnote though. When my children were toddlers, we had a gas leak. After watching every single episode of "Rescue 911", I knew just what to do. I called 911.
Apparently, that's the wrong thing to do. They told me they don't handle such calls and for me to call the fire department. So I did.
Apparently, that's the wrong thing to do. They told me they don't handle such calls and for me to call the gas company. So I did.
Meanwhile, I feel sick, my daughter's crying because she's scared and my son wants to 'beat up the 911 people'.
The gas company told me to open all the doors and windows and be sure we all got fresh air. They'd come out the next day to check on things.
I tried to call William Shatner to see if he took THOSE KINDS of 911 stories but he never returned my call, LOL!

~67~

#7 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2004 - 03:22 PM

my son wants to 'beat up the 911 people'.

oh, suffer the little children....

:thumbsup:

#8 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 20 September 2004 - 05:28 PM

I was always told NOT to use the phone at all when there is a gas leak. A spark could ignite the gas. Open all the doors, but not the windows, because when you do, you are scrapping metal (from the window) against metal (the window frame). Again, could create a spark. Call from a neighbor's home.

Anyway, have you had the chance to get another surge protector or plug the monitor into another outlet?
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#9 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2004 - 07:07 PM

Thanks for the safety info - should it happen again.
I've been thinking about that today actually and I will go one day this week and get a new surge protector. It doesn't show any signs of wear and tear but it's cheaper than a new monitor so 'justincase' as I like to say.
I doubt that I can switch outlets though. My living room is longer than it is wide and the computer is on one end, the TV in the middle, and the surround sound/stereo component system is at the the other end. Then it's the fireplace. If I had a better place to put the computer and the computer desk, I'd move it.

~67~

#10 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2004 - 07:20 PM

" Aww...well what can I say, you bring out the angel in me, lol." If this was a book id say a love story lol kidding. Ive herd something similar before thats all cant remember what...Well some monitors last out the whole 9 yards! I have one gave to my aunt its 10+ or older I think. It came off of a old 486 pc I think.....
Just my pointer...
Funny oven story my neighbor left his oven on while he took the trash off and poof or up in a flame went his house. He was frying something...He built a new one and it looks great!

#11 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 20 September 2004 - 09:30 PM

i was told to get the "best" surge protector available, as our electric company's equipment is seriously outdated..and has it's own "surges" constantly..so we put JUST the puter/components on that outlet/protector. darn thing was over $100

angel...sounds like you need someone to put in a couple outlets...is it your house, or are you renting? if renting, ASK your landlord if he could put in one or two...or if you know someone who knows how, ask if you can have it done, no charge to him. and if you own, see if you know someone who would appreciate a case of beer for barter...!!

don't know where you are in tx, but we go that way now and then..if you were anywhere near, i could stop and put one in...lol

good luck!

#12 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2004 - 09:48 PM

Wow, I hope I'm on your way too! lol
I'm in Fort Worth, so please tell me you traspass around this area!
Renting this house and the owners are an investment firm. They take as little responsibility for the house as much as possible. But they did respond quickly to the oven incident. I can't wait til the lease is up and I'm sorry I renewed it - expires June/July 2005. Anyway, the electrician we do know moved to Alaska so there goes that idea. I'd bet a dollar to a donut that the owner of the house wouldn't go for adding or replacing anything much since of course they do not live in the house. After we signed the 3rd lease, they were still not willing to even clean the carpets for us. Geez!
Okay, so give me some 'dam gud' news - forgive the pun - and head on over here, lol.

~67~

P.S. I can't believe a great surge protector costs $100. The ones we have now cost us about $20 or $30 and that's been years ago. When we figured out how long we've had them, we knew it was time to replace them, lol.

#13 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 28 September 2004 - 02:56 PM

Flat Screen Monitors

Anybody using one - any suggestions of best buys in UK.

I don't require for graphics particularly and certainly not for gameing. Just general Internet work and HJT stuff.

Thinking of IIyama Prolite E434S

Thanks,
Peter

#14 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2004 - 09:04 PM

Hi Everyone!
I'm hoping I've been missed, lol. Last Friday, right after I sent my last posted reply (Creative Thinking 101, I think), my monitor died. I haven't decided on what new one to get yet so I just hooked up my old IBM (outlasted the Sony by 2 1/2 years so far) but the colors are messed up on it ever since it fell during a move. Oh well, alive and kicking anyway.
So, the reason I am posting here is it's on topic and in case someone else's monitor starts doing what mine did, I'd say it's time to invest in a new one. About 2 weeks or so after the flashing started, it died. Mine did anyway....

~67~

#15 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2004 - 10:16 PM

Good to see you again, ~67, I'd wondered where you were. Sorry to hear of your "loss". I've carted two of 'em away. I killed one gaming, I think (hours at Vice City) and the other little $3.95 15" from Value Village didn't like me setting the screen resolution up to 1024 X 763 for long. :thumbsup: So, I'm out under $50.00. My 17" Compaq built in late 1999 has been at my grueling tests daily for a few months now at a modest $55.00 purchase price. I'd love a flat screen for aesthetics, space requirements and all, but It'll be a while before they fall into my price range. CRT's are everywhere. :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users