Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002
Service Pack 2
I seem to have caught a Virus that has disabled the Task Manager, Registry Editor, Safe Mode & other things. I noticed this problem about 3 weeks ago when I tried opening "Task Manager" to close something down and couldn't open it. I thought it was normal until I used a "System Restore" and the problem still persisted. Also my cousin was on like 5 days ago and caught the "Anitvirus System Pro" program which probably caused even more damage. My computer is not slow, still runs at the same speed. I've looked for a solution online everywhere and no luck. I'm sick and tired of this virus and I want to finally get rid of it. The last thing I want to do is Reformat & Reinstall Windows. Please Help.
Here are some of the Symptoms I've found so far:
When I try Ctrl + Alt + Delete it says: "Task Manager has been disabled by your administrator"
When I try Run > regedit > it says: "Registry editing has been disabled by your administrator"
Show Hidden Files and Folders
I go to Folder Options, select "Show hidden files and folders", click OK. As soon as I close the window & re-open it, it goes back to "Do not show hidden files and folders"
Anti-Virus Sites Won't Load
Any major websites that have to do with anti-virus won't load or open. For example McAfee, Symantec, etc.
I've used the "System Recovery" tool but even after restoring my PC to its to factory settings like twice, the virus seems to still be there because the "Task Manager" and "Registry Editor" still won't open
I've tried booting my PC into Safe Mode using two methods but no luck with both:
When I try Run > msconfig > OK > BOOT.INI > /SAFEBOOT > OK.
The computer restarts, I try selecting "Safe Mode", then select Windows XP Home Edition, it then triggers a bunch of code, and just reboots the computer into the same "Safe Mode" Screen. No Matter what you select it just reboots to the same screen turning it into a never ending loop.
When I try hitting F5 at the beginning of the computer's start up screen, I get the same effect as above. I try selecting "Safe Mode", it reboots the computer and just takes me back to the same screen. Only way to get out is by selecting "Normal Mode"
THINGS I'VE TRIED:
- I've tried Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. It finds 5 infections, I then remove the selected infections, it reboots the computer. I then re-scan the computer and the same 5 infections are still there.
- I've tried Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2010. I install the program try to open it and nothing happens.
- I've tried to install Avast but I can't. I hit the the setup and nothing happens.
- I've tried TuneUp Utilities in house registry editor to try and delete "DisableRegistryTools" & "DisableTaskMgr" and they just regenerate seconds later. I've tried changing their value to "0" as well, and it just goes back to "1" as well.
- I've tried SafeBootKeyRepair.exe by sUBs. I run the program, it finishes. I turn off the computer, turn it on again. Try to reboot it into "Safe Mode" by hitting F5. Select "Safe Mode" and this time it successfully goes into "Safe Mode" but it seems like the virus has control in "Safe Mode" as well because none of the malware programs seem to function well. Also, in "Safe Mode", I get a lot errors like "Explorer.EXE - no disk"
- I've also tried little registry fix tools that fix the "Task Manager" or "Registry Editor" and while it fixes them, it only last a few seconds and then go back to normal.
Edited by Tingle07, 01 December 2009 - 02:30 PM.