Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving or transferring programs

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JanetRWright

JanetRWright

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 11 August 2005 - 01:42 AM

I have a number of programs on my computer that I currently do not use much. In order to reclaim some space on my hard drive, I'd like to remove some of these programs, but since many of them were purchased downloads, I'd like to keep them in case I want to re-install later (games, utilities, etc) I have an Omega 750MB Disk Drive. Is it possible to just copy or move programs to a zip disk? How do I make sure the installation or setup file is included in order to reinstall later? I also have a Sony CDR/W. Would that be better? If so, how do I do it? The only thing I've ever used the CD burner for is to creade data disks by copying PowerPoint presentations onto CDs. Would I need to format the CD before using it in this manner? (When I create data disks, I don't have to format first)...I'm not familiar at all with the use of a CD burner...

Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 02:26 AM

I don't think what you are planning will do your PC any good. If you have unwanted programs you need to uninstall them.

If you want to save the programs for a later install you need to copy the original setup file from your hdd on to either zip or CD. If you haven't got the original setup file you need to see whether you can still download these files, if not I'm afraid your out of luck.

The only other option is to buy some software that will backup your programs and reg entries which will allow them to be restored at a later date. I'm sure Norton system works had a program that did this, from memory I think it was clean sweep that did this. Although I'm sure other vendors will provide similar software which will do this.

#3 JanetRWright

JanetRWright
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2005 - 10:25 AM

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users