Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant shutdown, install, and use previous version service

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 satiii

satiii

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:59 AM

Hello. I have a vista ultimate, use avast free, malwarebytes. I regularly scan my whole system. A month or so my computer stopped shutting down through the user interface. Sometimes it reaches the "logging off" screen then stops. Sometimes it reaches the "shutting down" screen then stops. It will just hang like that for hours, until I finally have to shut it down through the power button on the laptop itself.

Also, I once tried to check the previous versions for my computer, and the computer tells me that the previous versions service is not running.

Also, I the installer for windows does not work. I was trying to install Adobe Flash and it keeps telling me that there's a fatal system error. I have installed Photoshop, Indesign, Dreamweaver, and many other Adobe products on my computer. I have even installed Flash before, so I dont know whatl happened this time. The computer will usually install minor programs, but sometimes it wont. Also, it wont install superantispyware.

Also, the computer sometimes will not open certain programs and flash a box that says "No threads can be created in the system."

Like I said, I've tried a full scan with avast and malwarebytes, even in safe mode. The results keep telling me that the computer is clean.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:17 AM

Use the Windows Error checking utility (Check Disk), with the options to scan the disk surface for errors, and attempt recovery of data and repair the disk.
Open "My Computer"
Right-click on the drive that you wish to check (C: drive/your System drive) > Properties > Tools > and in the "Error checking" section, click on "Check now".
Place a tick in both boxes > Start.
A message will notify you that a restart is necessary: Click OK, and close all windows.
Re-start the computer. The disk will be checked when the system boots.
This test will take some time to run and at times may appear stalled but just let it run.
When the disk check is complete, the system will re-start automatically and load Windows.
If any errors were found, it may be prudent to repeat the process.
This just about sums up chkdsk /r
Quote: "wow thanks, quick way to solve it."
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1520848
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#3 satiii

satiii
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:13 AM

Hello australien. I ran the checkdisk utility, and there were no errors found in the computer. The same shutdown and install problems persist. Anymore ideas on what I can do? thanks.

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 PM

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:02 PM

Is there any particular reason that you might suspect a malware problem (I am wondering why you chose to post in the "Am I Infected?" forum, rather than the Windows Vista forum) ?

Vista:
I might be suggesting something you are already aware of here, but please try the following ...
1. Disable UAC (User Account Control).
Start > Control Panel > Users > change UAC > tick/untick the box to disable UAC (written from memory, so the wording may be different?)
You will need to re-start your computer.
2. Everything that you do should be done with a right-click > "Run as Administrator" choice.
3. Ensure that you are using an account with Administrative privileges.

Please try some of the things that you could not do before, such as install SuperAntiSpyware.
See the following link for instructions on how to run SAS, and I suggest that you use TFC before installing/running SAS.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...t&p=1522696
I also suggest deleting the SAS install file that you already have and start afresh by downloading the SuperAntiSpyware install file again.

*Note: Remember to enable UAC when you have finished.

Edit: The "not shutting down" problem may be malware related, but can also be caused by conflicting installed programs, especially if there is more than one antivirus program installed. What other antivirus programs do you have installed/have ever been installed on this system? Antivirus programs are not completely removed by the usual method of using the Windows uninstall tool in Control Panel > Programs Installed. Each antivirus has its own special removal tool which should be used to completely remove it.

Edited by AustrAlien, 05 December 2009 - 03:14 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users